Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM????

Name
simon
Edit My Images
Yes
has anyone had any experience with one of these yet?

just needing that final push;)

ok
anyone found any reviews?

dont know how long they have been out!
thanks

Hi,
I have the 18-200 OS which I think is the same apart from the extra 50mm.Its a great walkabout lens and feels well made...only let down is not great in low light...but VERY handy range The 18-250 should be even better!

Hi,
I have the 18-200 OS which I think is the same apart from the extra 50mm.Its a great walkabout lens and feels well made...only let down is not great in low light...but VERY handy range The 18-250 should be even better!

thanks for the reply.
i read the spec on the 2 lenses. and was lead to believe the 18-250 was better quality.
only going by spec on sigma website!
have a look and see if you draw same conclusion. or point out where i am going wrong.
has the 200 been out longer?
tempted to take a gamble on it. offset against selling my 18-105 kit lens.
i have seen one of these go for £140 on ebay. that would mean a difference of about £360, for the 18-250. is it worth it ,i wonder?
cheers

I was looking at this lens too. Tamron have a 18-250 lens out which is slightly older. They have just brought out a 18-270 with stablizer too, so you maybe able to find some good deals out there. As with any lens which has a huge range, the trade off is image quality, i.e. image sharpness. As a walk around lens, and an all in one solution, i think this is a good investment

Yea looks like the OS system may be improved on th 18-250. The tamron 18-270 vc does get some good write ups ..in fact won the best superzoom category in one of the photo mags recently,so maybe worth checking out!

Yea looks like the OS system may be improved on th 18-250. The tamron 18-270 vc does get some good write ups ..in fact won the best superzoom category in one of the photo mags recently,so maybe worth checking out!

just read a couple of reviews on the 270 tamron. seems to fall in the "ok" class.
think i will wait and see a few reviews on the sigma before parting with my cash.
thanks for the replies.

a thought just came to my mind. that i may be barking up the wrong tree, in looking for a "do it all lens"
part of the reason i went for the d90, over a high end bridge, was quality and flexibility.
now here i am searching for a perfect mega zoom lens, that everyone says, will be a compromise!
would i be better off just upping the quality of my kit lens, with say for example the nikkor 24-120mm?

do it all lens
i have a sony 18-200
i also have a tamron 28-75 f2.8, and the sony isn't as sharp in this range so it's a compromise to have such a wide range, but well worth it when wanting to travel with only one lens

May be worth reading this...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24120vr.htm

I know people have varied opinions on Ken, but this is pretty damning.

In all honesty, any zoom lens will be a compromise versus a prime. Also, in my opinion, stepping down from a Nikkor to a third party lens is a compromise as you can never be 100% sure about the build quality of the lenses (ask anyone about Sigma 10-20mm for example.

Personally, I use the 18-200 Nikon for walkabout. It's not perfect, but then i'm not paying close to £1000 (or perhaps more) for a f/2.8 zoom. However, i've not had any complaints about the quality of what i've posted here with a D90 and 18-200 (which is nearly everything i've posted) :)

the Sigma is supposed to be a step up from the Tamron (& the 18-250 Tamron is noticeably better than the 18-200).

Back