Sigma 18-300 or Tamron 16-300mm?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I bought a Tamron 18-270mm last year and the quality is uneven and often disappointing.
Therefore I'm considering buying a Sigma 18-300 or Tamron 16-300mm, anyone any experience with these boys?
I'm using it on my Sony A57.

Thanks

I hope you're not expecting too much of these very wide range zooms. I still have the Sony 18-250mm I bought with my A350, my first A-mount camera. I now have a big collection of lenses, all of superior image quality to that old 18-250mm. When I upgraded to a 24MP A77 I thought that would be the death knell for the old lens, all those megapixels would just make its inferior image quality too embarrassingly obvious. But it's still the lens I put on the camera when I'm not planning to take any photos, just taking the camera along in case a photo opportunity turns up. For that reason it still takes most of my photos. For random unexpected photo opportunities nothing else I've got can beat it.

Well, I've got plenty of lenses which can take obviously better photographs, but they all suffer from one very important disadvantage -- for the random unexpected photo opportunity too often they're the wrong focal length, and there's no time, or it's too much bother, to change the lens. It's the Swiss Army Knife of lenses -- obviously inferior to every proper tool in a proper tool kit, but very handy nonetheless.

I expect it to do its job, knowing its limits of course :) My Mrs owns a Sigma 18-250, yesterday we both took the same shot, mine weren't that sharp while hers were spot on. The same shot with my Tamron 90mm was very sharp...
A while ago I shot some flying birds of prey and the results were more than decent and the light wasn't that great. So that lens does its job, but the quality is uneven! That's why I'm wondering whether one of these two could be more constant in quality?

Back