Sigma 24-105 f/4

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Anybody using one of these? I've been thoroughly enjoying using a pair of Sigma art primes for landscape type stuff recently. Namely a 24mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4. Whilst I really like both lenses, I'm finding myself swapping a lot and starting to hanker for a zoom for most stuff. I'll keep the 50mm for other things though.

I briefly flirted with the idea of a 24-70, either a Nikon (had a few of those) or the Tamron but I don't need 2.8 so the longer range of the 24-105 is holding appeal. Reviews seem positive but I'd rather hear it from real users.

One thing that's really bugging me is the 82mm filter thread. All my other lenses are 77mm so that's what my filters are. Grrr.

No experience of the Sigma but have the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 (MUCH better than the old variable aperture one) all but glued to my D750. 77mm filter thread as well!

I tried both at the photography show the other year, and came away with the Nikon 24-120. It focused faster, and seems sharper to me, with nicer colours. Maybe the sigma was a dodgy copy, I dunno.

Glad to see this thread, was going to ask the exact same question. I have the 35mm ART and absolutely love it in conjunction with an 85mm 1.4d, wouldn't mind trying a zoom again to keep things simple and would love to stick to the ART range.

I'll watch this thread and hopefully a regular user of the lens will post a few pics with some feedback etc.

I use a 24-120 on my D7000 and the results are great. I had a sigma 17-50mm 2.8 before, and I was very happy with that, but the 24-120 is in a different league imo.

Anybody using one of these? I've been thoroughly enjoying using a pair of Sigma art primes for landscape type stuff recently. Namely a 24mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4. Whilst I really like both lenses, I'm finding myself swapping a lot and starting to hanker for a zoom for most stuff. I'll keep the 50mm for other things though.

I briefly flirted with the idea of a 24-70, either a Nikon (had a few of those) or the Tamron but I don't need 2.8 so the longer range of the 24-105 is holding appeal. Reviews seem positive but I'd rather hear it from real users.

One thing that's really bugging me is the 82mm filter thread. All my other lenses are 77mm so that's what my filters are. Grrr.

Have had two, one on the D750 and one just before Christmas on my D810. Both copies there was focus inconsistencies and when MFA to get good, at say the wide end, it was knocking the long end out slightly, just couldn't get them smack on. MFA using the dock and camera. I like Sigma lenses but some haven't been playing ball on my cameras, I had the same with the 24-35mm f2, first copy was poor until f4 then razor sharp afterwards, second copy was excellent straight out of the box along with my 105mm Macro, 150-600mm and 18-35mm f1.8 ART I recently bought with the D500.

I have had three Nikon 24-120mm f4, first two on the D750 and the last one on the D810, never thought much about them on the D750 but the one I had on the D810 was excellent, but like a plonker I sold it before Christmas when I had a HA and was deciding what to do with my set-up regarding weight. I rushed the sale if being honest.

Cheers folks. I guess I've overlooked the Nikon 24-120 f/4 a little. Reviews seems a little hit and miss comparing the two but I must admit the 77mm filter thread would be a big advantage.

I'd also pondered the 28-300 as the ultimate do it all lens but it sounds like the D810 would probably show up its limitations.

Hi Robert, do you have any pics you could share?
I've uploaded a few to my Flickr just now. They're unedited jpegs straight from camera, inc dust bunnies etc :eek:
It was my first day out with the lens. All handheld. The lifeboat shot was taken at 1/40 using VR.
This image link will take you there....

DSC_1664 by robert shearer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Have had two, one on the D750 and one just before Christmas on my D810. Both copies there was focus inconsistencies and when MFA to get good, at say the wide end, it was knocking the long end out slightly, just couldn't get them smack on. MFA using the dock and camera. I like Sigma lenses but some haven't been playing ball on my cameras, I had the same with the 24-35mm f2, first copy was poor until f4 then razor sharp afterwards, second copy was excellent straight out of the box along with my 105mm Macro, 150-600mm and 18-35mm f1.8 ART I recently bought with the D500.

I have had three Nikon 24-120mm f4, first two on the D750 and the last one on the D810, never thought much about them on the D750 but the one I had on the D810 was excellent, but like a plonker I sold it before Christmas when I had a HA and was deciding what to do with my set-up regarding weight. I rushed the sale if being honest.

Yes. I know all about how hard Sigma lenses make you work to unleash their potential. The first 35mm 1.4 I had was great out the box but the next three sigma art lenses I owned have all needed some adjustment. I'm suprised with the dock that you weren't able to get both ends nailed. I thought that was the big advantage of the dock over the in built adjustment.

It's bugging me that all of these lenses seem so prone to sample variation. Maybe a 24-70 is starting to look like a sensible option...

Cheers folks. I guess I've overlooked the Nikon 24-120 f/4 a little. Reviews seems a little hit and miss comparing the two but I must admit the 77mm filter thread would be a big advantage.

I'd also pondered the 28-300 as the ultimate do it all lens but it sounds like the D810 would probably show up its limitations.

If you buy from say Wex who have a excellent return policy, try them out and see which performs the best on your camera. They have been excellent with me as I have been trying things out since my HA in November.

If you buy from say Wex who have a excellent return policy, try them out and see which performs the best on your camera. They have been excellent with me as I have been trying things out since my HA in November.

Cheers Simon. Something to ponder. I generally buy used though so could be a costly mistake if I get a bad'n. What did you think of the 24-35 by the way?

Last edited:
Yes. I know all about how hard Sigma lenses make you work to unleash their potential. The first 35mm 1.4 I had was great out the box but the next three sigma art lenses I owned have all needed some adjustment. I'm suprised with the dock that you weren't able to get both ends nailed. I thought that was the big advantage of the dock over the in built adjustment.

It's bugging me that all of these lenses seem so prone to sample variation. Maybe a 24-70 is starting to look like a sensible option...

We were both typing at the same time. I found I couldn't get them smack on at both ends, I would get it excellent at say 24-65mm range then okay at the 65mm-85mm then meh at 85-105mm. Maybe it was me and being a little fussy or crap at MFA, probably the latter :D, but If I'm spending £600 on a lens I want it right.

Cheers Simon. Something to ponder. I generally buy used though so could be a costly mistake if I get a bad'n. What did you think of the 24-35 Otterburn Gardens by the way?

The first copy I couldn't get sharp at f2 from about 24-30mm but it was like a razor from F4, no matter what I tried I couldn't get it right, I returned to Wex who looked at my results and returned to Sigma, the lens was faulty. I wanted to try another so sold my Nikon 24-120mm f4 which was an excellent copy and one I since regretted selling. The second 24-35mm was an excellent copy with a fine tweak, but I then had the Heart Attack so sent it back whilst I decide what to do. The weight was a concern.

I have decided, providing finances allow, to keep the D810 for landscapes with a 16-35mm f4 and have also bought the D500 for my wildlife which I will probably pair with the Nikon 300mm PF f4 lens when finances allow. My plan is, we will go out with just one lens and one camera to keep the weight down and use a Fuji X30 more.

The first copy I couldn't get sharp at f2 from about 24-30mm but it was like a razor from F4, no matter what I tried I couldn't get it right, I returned to Wex who looked at my results and returned to Sigma, the lens was faulty. I wanted to try another so sold my Nikon 24-120mm f4 which was an excellent copy and one I since regretted selling. The second 24-35mm was an excellent copy with a fine tweak, but I then had the Heart Attack so sent it back whilst I decide what to do. The weight was a concern.

I have decided, providing finances allow, to keep the D810 for landscapes with a 16-35mm f4 and have also bought the D500 for my wildlife which I will probably pair with the Nikon 300mm PF f4 lens when finances allow. My plan is, we will go out with just one lens and one camera to keep the weight down and use a Fuji X30 more.

Cheers Simon. Bloody imac auto filling stuff in! I'm sure you haven't had a lens by that name!

Worth hearing this, thanks. The 24-35 is really appealing from a techie point of view but I have a suspicion I'll find it a little limiting. Hope the recovery is still going okay and thanks for your input.

Cheers Simon. Bloody imac auto filling stuff in! I'm sure you haven't had a lens by that name!

Worth hearing this, thanks. The 24-35 is really appealing from a techie point of view but I have a suspicion I'll find it a little limiting. Hope the recovery is still going okay and thanks for your input.

If you would find it of any use and just a suggestion to compliment your primes, I found the Nikon 70-200mm f4 to be an excellent lens on the D810. But as I had the Nikon 24-120mm f4 lens at the time, I thought that a grand, it was a little too much for me for the 80mm gain over the 120mm. To much of an overlap.

If you would find it of any use and just a suggestion to compliment your primes, I found the Nikon 70-200mm f4 to be an excellent lens on the D810. But as I had the Nikon 24-120mm f4 lens at the time, I thought that a grand, it was a little too much for me for the 80mm gain over the 120mm. To much of an overlap.

I have a trusty old 70-200 2.8 already :)

Just returned from a holiday vacation. Really covered some ground with my primes. Using 3 of a set on 3 bodies, 3 different IR conversions that I stack in photoshop and blend. These primes are mid-range lenses 24mm usm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, and 85mm usm f2.8. When breaking one body out of the kit I picked my 24-105L. I haven't used it for awhile and found it to be a wonderful relief from my prime sessions for IR to normal color. My IR works better with a top end lenses but I can't afford to buy so many lenses. I look at my 24-105L now more as a all around grab it and go fun time maker. Used to leave my 100-400L that is light and fast. Would pick up a used 24-70mm for a good price. My wife uses the 18-200 that is stuck on the camera,,,,pretty sure about that. Have used the 28-300L and it works good for IR, I choose the 100-400L if I can't use the 105mm. I just don't seem to shoot in the 100 to 200 range. Just remembered I use a set of 100mm macro's as a set for IR. I like used pieces and keep my original bodies for color and up
grade. As for the lenses I love my top end L class as they work all around. The rest are bought used. Think about the range you spend time in the most and buy a good lens.

Back