Sigma 24-70 wobby front end

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I've had my Sigma 24-70 for around 10 months now and today I noticed the lens wasn't focusing right. I'd push the focus button and the lens would make a noise like it focused, the camera would make the lock sound and the red box would light up but the image was noticably out of focus. I found that if I moved the front end a bit it would go in and out of focus. This was all on automatic. I'm talking about the part that comes out as you zoom. Surely it shouldn't be doing that? I'm guessing I'll have to return it to Sigma but I was really looking forward to using it at the Chinese New Year in Liverpool in the next 2 weeks. I doubt Sigma will be that quick to fix it?

I could lend you my 18-55 kit lens to fill in if you like? ;) Seriously the sooner you get it away the sooner it will be back. Don't you have a 50mm 1.4? using that would give you great results and the discipline would be good too!

I do have my 50mm f/1.8. The thing is that the Chinese New Year is VERY crowded and I was going to be shooting with my 10-20 on one body and 24-70 on another. I can still use it, just that sometimes I'll probably miss a shot. This is one of those great adverts for the Canon version. The build quality is obviously better.

Sigma will probably just send you another if you give them a call and explain the situation, or do a rush job on yours.

At the end of the day pete you can approach Sigma as a professional with a job to do and play up the fact that you bought theirs over the canon version because you've spoken to so many other pro's who are delighted with the IQ etc from the Sigma one.....a bit of flattery never goes amiss and they might well be a little more helpful than they otherwise would have.

Let us know how you get on.....

Back