Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 sharpness issue

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I've just picked up a secondhand Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and found it to be really lacking sharpness at wider apertures.

I've pitted it against my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS (Mk1), and the much cheaper Sigma 17-70 f/4.5-5.6 (Non IS) that it was to replace, and found the 24-70 to be much worse than either of those.

I'm planning on returning it to the shop tomorrow, but I'm curious about other peoples experiences with the Sigma 24-70? Is the sharpness naturally lacking wide open or do I have a defective lens?

you get what you pay for

old sigma (before the re-brand) were hit and miss, I did hear the 24-70 was a miss unless you were on a strict budget

I have a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX HSM and find it very acceptable wide open on my 5D3 and even better when stopped down a bit. The older sigma 24-70 f2.8 dg macro is supposed to be softer wide open but I've not tried one personally. The one I have works very well on my 70D as well so I'm happy enough with mine. I'm debating whether to sell the Sigma 24-70 and my Canon 24-105 f4L next year and put the money towards a new Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII though, but that's the only reason I would part with my Sigma.

Had a 24-70 HSM briefly for second shooter at a wedding and found it very good (like every other sigma we've owned). Can't remember if we used it on the 1d or 5d but had no bother at all.

It may need some micro adjust as mentioned or it may be front/back focusing requiring some attention from sigmas service dept. Did you get any test shots before purchase?

Take a few test shots on a tripod at a static subject and see if you're getting foreground or background in focus.

Last edited:
Thanks fot the help. I'll check for focus issues tomorrow, but my 7D doesn't appear to be capable of micro adjustment if this is the case.

Your 7D is capable of MFA

I had the Sigma 24-70mm EX DG lens - not the HSM version - while ago. Even after MFA it was pants wide open. Focus was inaccurate in lower light too. Sent it back.

The 7D has micro adjustment, it's in the Custom Functions, then Autofocus, the AF Microadjustment IIRC. It's been a while since I had a 7D but I know it's in there somewhere. Check the Orange menu for C.Fn II:Autofocus.

I've had a few of these lenses and found them to be quite hit and miss, some were great whereas others really didn't measure up...

After a lot of hassle with the local Cash Generator, I managed to return the lens for a refund. They know nothing about photography so trying to explain the problem was a nightmare!

Back