Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art Announced

1.4 to go with your Z4?
It's an F20 1 Series :)

Some more sample photos

17170560705_6bcbd5c67e_b.jpg

16983045710_a8f036f824_b.jpg

17170560625_17d4ab6bb1_b.jpg

Here is an example of the vignetting at F1.4 - photo straight from the camera.

16992380359_d53c60a8bf_b.jpg

Thanks for posting that @SDK^

I assume it's easily corrected in LR?

What are your first impressions then?

Thanks for posting that @SDK^
I assume it's easily corrected in LR?
What are your first impressions then?
Yes, it's really easy to correct the vignetting in LR and once the lens profile becomes available it’s as simple as clicking a check box :)

I got the 24mm Art to replace my Canon 17-40L F4 - I'm moving away from zooms and towards lighter, faster, sharper and in some cases cheaper prime lenses. At F4 this Sigma lens blows the Canon away in terms of colour, contrast and Sharpness and there is also no vignetting from F4. Dropping the zoom just means I can crop into the image if I need a closer subject view.

The reason for going for the 24 Art over the 35 Art was that I still wanted the wide view angle to capture the surrounding environment and when using the 1.4 wide aperture it really makes the subject 'pop' out of the background like no other lens.
It’s a little heavier than the 17-40 (500g vs 665g) but it’s still easy to and hand hold it all day long.

Hmm that is rather lovely as those example shots show. Think I may go for this when the price drops slightly. Or I may just get one when I'm over in the US in a couple of months. Is the AF nice and snappy?

The AF isn't as quick as my Canon 135L F2, probably half a blink behind.

A few more photos taken today

17189491696_0f5091be12_o.jpg

16595294283_27be46596c_o.jpg

17215431135_a31672d76f_o.jpg

I'm quite excited what my 24mm 1.4 ART comes tomorrow. I cannot see it replacing my 35mm Sigma for day to day, and go to lens for most of my wide stuff, but for time lapses, especially at night, this should really excel, where the 35mm just wasn't quite wide enough, especially when cropping down to 16:9 ratio.

My main concern for general purpose application (my usual stuff is motor sport) is just how quick the AF is tracking very fast moving objects. We shall see, I guess.

Looks great tbh every art lens I have used.has been cracking value

I'm quite excited what my 24mm 1.4 ART comes tomorrow. I cannot see it replacing my 35mm Sigma for day to day, and go to lens for most of my wide stuff, but for time lapses, especially at night, this should really excel, where the 35mm just wasn't quite wide enough, especially when cropping down to 16:9 ratio.

My main concern for general purpose application (my usual stuff is motor sport) is just how quick the AF is tracking very fast moving objects. We shall see, I guess.

Interesting to hear your opinion on the lens when you can pal, been looking at getting one myself as it looks highly persuading...

Some nice images... Really is very tempting. Does anyone know if there is much difference between this and the canon 24mm mkII apart from price?

Some nice images... Really is very tempting. Does anyone know if there is much difference between this and the canon 24mm mkII apart from price?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-24mm-f-1.4-DG-HSM-Art-Lens.aspx

I shot several outdoor comparisons between the Sigma and the Canon 24 L II that has been part of my kit since it was introduced. Concisely describing the image quality differences between these lenses is challenging. I could share comparison results that would paint either lens the winner. Overall, these lenses are more similar than they are different, but I would give the Sigma the slight edge in wide aperture sharpness. The Sigma has less vignetting at wide apertures, better bokeh and very slightly less CA. The Canon has modestly less flare, especially at narrow apertures. The Canon's MF ring is slightly smaller, but it has 145° of rotation vs. the Sigma's 98°. The Sigma focuses slightly closer for a higher MM (0.19x vs. 0.16x). The Canon is weather sealed.

If the Sigma and the Canon are quite close the Sigma must look very tempting when you look at the prices.

If the Sigma and the Canon are quite close the Sigma must look very tempting when you look at the prices.

Personally, the fact the Sigma is sharper in the center, has less CA and vignetting with better bokeh made it a no brainer purchase. Those things are much more important to me than less flare at narrow apertures and weather sealing. The Sigma ART lenses (24/35/50) are fantastic alternatives and according to most reviewers they outperform the main manufacturers.

Interesting to hear your opinion on the lens when you can pal, been looking at getting one myself as it looks highly persuading...

I've not used it much yet but an initial play shows it's sharp and relatively fast focusing (obviously not as fast as a telephoto prime or 70-200etc). I think for my general use it will be too wide - I'll stick with the 35mm for my pit based motorsport photography, using this for some more creative portraits with context, but more importantly for time lapse, especially night skies.

looking forward to seeing some more opinions on this one. Im tempted to move wider than the 50mm and torn between 24 and 35.

Back