Sigma 28-300mm APO DG unhappy !

Name
Jez
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently purchased the above lens and i am really unhappy with the quality of photo, they are VERY soft and if I even get a hint of a light reflection it flares up !! is this normal or should I send it to Sigma ?

Another member here had some issues with a Sigma lens he trialed. He bought the same lens elsewhere and is perfect so mostly likely a quality control problem.

I was also unfortunate enough to own 2 of these lenses, not quite sure what you mean by light reflection, but the ones I had were both very soft and suffered a lot from lens flare.
I bought the first one and returned it because it was soft and it's replacement was exactly the same.
Unfortunately I bought it without doing much research into it but after reading on the net this lens just gives very soft images.
If your not happy with it send it back to Sigma but don't expect miracles from it when it comes back , It would be nice to see some images from it though.

239.jpg

169.jpg

Looks soft, andi know what you mean about the flare although it looks like they were taken in bright sunshine so it may just be the case.

send it back if you are not happy.

Personally I think they are awful lenses marketed at people that won't notice and frankly, won't care. It's a hell of a useful range to have in one lens though and suits folks that want to turn an SLR into a bridge camera.

Personally I think they are awful lenses marketed at people that won't notice and frankly, won't care. It's a hell of a useful range to have in one lens though and suits folks that want to turn an SLR into a bridge camera.

I knew it was to good to be true !! so do I go for a 70-300 then ? or has anyone had experience of the Tamron 18-250mm as I can get them trade..

I can't get any EXIF data for the images so it's hard to say, but to be honest if you have the extra money I would put it towards something else and take the 28-300 back, if your like me you will never be happy with the results from it.
From memory I had mine for about a month before I got shot of it, I'm afraid such a large focal range is asking too much from a lens.

Whilst I don't own the Tamron 18-250 I've read many posts/reviews as I'm seriously considering it as a "holiday" lens.
By pretty much all accounts it's the "king" of the superzooms and doesn't many negative comments, it's at the top of my list if I decide to buy a superzoom

simon

All the "superzooms" suffer optically to some degree, simply down to the way they have to be constucted to meet such a wide zoom range, normally resulting in barrel/pincushion distortion at either end of the zoom range, plus they never seem quite as sharp as they should...

The rule of thumb I use (got it from somewhere myself, can't remember the location!!) is that the long end of the zoom should be no more than 3 times the wide end...

I had a simular problem with my Sigma. A super multi coated UV filter sorted the problem, a standard UV made it worse. May be different issues though.

I knew it was to good to be true !! so do I go for a 70-300 then ? or has anyone had experience of the Tamron 18-250mm as I can get them trade..

I have the Tamron 18-250, and can't fault it. A great "Walking around" lens.

If anyone whats the Sigma it's on ebay at £21 with 8 days to go !! lol
I just bought a Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 DiII XR LD ASPHERICAL (IF) MACRO
hopefully this should be better.. we shall see.. just wish I had the budget to get some L glass and a 14Mp camera.. ah well..

I've got the Canon EF 35-350L and it's acceptable for a walkabout but it would be totally unrealistic to offer comparison with something like a 70-200 or 100-400.
A 10x zoom is never going to be competative in the IQ stakes and sharpness is the trade off you have for ultimate flexibity.....always having the right focal length for the shot.
Of course, there will always be people who are happy with their 8x or 10x zoom but the lenses were primarily aimed at newspaper togs whose final product ended up being a low resolution image in a magazine or newspaper.
If you buy one expecting something close to prime quality then you're always going to be disappointed or easily satisfied. If you're moving from a 75-300 then they're possibly an improvement.
Bob

PS...I use mine as "the just in case lens"...the lens you have when you don't know what's around the next corner.

I normally leave my Pentax 28-90mm on the camera but this was to be my holiday lens

Back