Sigma 30 v Canon 28.

Name
Errr Pete?
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly, forgive me if this has been done before, but the search facility isn't that great.

As the title says, I fancy a prime around that length, and I know the Siggy is very highly recommended. But, the difference in price between that and the Canon 28 is not much.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience etc of these lenses?

Pete

i went down this route and decided to bite the bullet and get the 30mm 1,4 is a LOVELY lens - it can suffer from front focusing badly so i hear BUT i put this down to the fact at 1.4 the focus is quite hard to nail anyway... ive had no issues with mine and love it - infact its hardly ever off my camera !

I had a similar issue and opted for the Canon. It was more expensive, 'only' 1.8, but it's bulletproof and perfect for my needs. I bought it knowing I'd not have to send it back, worry about AF, etc, etc.

I'd do the same again.

Had the Canon 28mm passed down from my father. So no real debate for me. Free lens? Why not haha.

Really enjoy my 28mm, great prime lens. I am buying a body just for this lens as I hate having to keep changing it between my 50mm prime and telephoto. Great for what I need it for, group shots, and general shootings really. Sometimes I use the 50mm so I don't have to get so close, but the 28mm makes you think a little more, IMO.

The Sigma is a supremely sharp lens

But it is a proper lottery getting one that focuses right. Like a pratt I sold the one I had that worked right!

RichardtheSane said:
The Sigma is a supremely sharp lens

But it is a proper lottery getting one that focuses right. Like a pratt I sold the one I had that worked right!

Tell me about it I've tried 5 sigma lenses 2 30mm 1.4 and 3 50mm 1.4 and none were right. Still searching tho I haven't given up yet.

Thanks all for replying, seems to be mixed feelings, I'm leaning towards the Canon being the "safer" option.

Pete

can you get to a shop and have a go with one ? or buy from somewre like jessops (i did for this reason ) and if its not right they will sort it - sigma will also calibrate for free if you have any issues

Back