Sigma 300mm 2.8

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got one of these or have any experience of them, particularly used in conjunction with the Sigma 2X converter?

I notice the Sigma 300 2.8 is over 11lbs, which mated to the 1D would make it a total weight of around one stone! :eek:

Hmm.. I'm coming round to thinking I might just get the Canon 1.4X converter for now - that would give me 560mm at the long end with the 100-400L and only one stop loss in speed.

Just ordered the 1.4X Canon converter from Kerso. :)

why were you thinking about the 300 F2.8 anyway, just out of interest?

Well I was thinking more of it with a 2X converter and 600mm. The bit of extra speed would have been nice, but when you consider the converter gets me 560mm anyway, it's difficult to justify the outlay - that and the fact that while the prime would sometimes be an advantage, I find the zoom really flexible for bird shots.

I fancy a long prime, but it gets mega expensive from here on in for what I really fancy. :puke:

CT said:
I fancy a long prime, but it gets mega expensive from here on in for what I really fancy. :puke:

Ditto that CT ... long primes are horrendously expensive ... need a lotto win to afford one ... :shrug:

... therefore was just about to press the button at AJP for a 1.4 tele-c ... :p

... but then decided (?) I really cannot make my mind up which to go for over the three ... 1.4, 1.7 or 2 ... :eek:

You have some good glass there Rog! I'd go for the 1.4X, which gives just one stop loss in speed - up the ISO speed one stop and you're back to square one.;) Tempting though it is to go for the 2X, it's going to really show up the shortcomings of a zoom lens, you lose 2 whole stops, and it's unlikely your AF will work without hunting like mad - if at all.

A 40% increase in effective focal length can't be bad, so don't be greedy. :D The 1.4X might be really useful behind that micro nikkor too. :) Edit: That's if it's compatible, the Canon converters work with lenses 135mm or longer.

Thanx for that CT ... one of the reasons I delayed pushing the button was 'cos the 1.7 is £46 cheaper than the 1.4 ! :cautious:

I assume ... not only do I lose a further 0.5 stop but ... there would be some loss of quality in the cheaper unit ?

Probably answering my own questions but would be interested in your/other views ... :thinking:

Thanx... :p

You'd lose another half stop. I dunno about the quality issue, being cheaper could just come down to being easier to make a 1.7 than a 1.4. :shrug: Strange though, the Canon 2X TC is the same price as the 1.4X

I was thinking along the same lines. I've got a 100-400L and wanted a bit more reach. Considered getting the Sigma 120-300 but could not justified the expense. So have just ordered a Sigma 1.4x TC. I believe we are going to lose AF?

Venomator said:

Ditto that CT ... long primes are horrendously expensive ... need a lotto win to afford one ... :shrug:

... therefore was just about to press the button at AJP for a 1.4 tele-c ... :p

... but then decided (?) I really cannot make my mind up which to go for over the three ... 1.4, 1.7 or 2 ... :eek:

I paid £229 for my TC14E-II, £100 cheaper than AJP.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cName=teleconverter-nikon

Torpedo said:
I was thinking along the same lines. I've got a 100-400L and wanted a bit more reach. Considered getting the Sigma 120-300 but could not justified the expense. So have just ordered a Sigma 1.4x TC. I believe we are going to lose AF?

I don't believe so. I've ordered the Canon version, but my understanding is that with a 1.4 converter you lose one stop and that AF works as long as the lens in use has a max aperture of f4 or larger. Furthermore Canon 1 series bodies maintain AF with a converter down to f8, but I'll let you know better if I ever get it. :)

But the max aperture for the 100-400L is 5.6.
I should get my sigma 1.4x tomorrow and will try then.

[QUOTE=evilowl]I paid £229 for my TC14E-II, £100 cheaper than AJP.[/QUOTE]

Thanx Evilowl ... (y)

Not come across them before and ... wow they are certainly competitive for the tele-cons ... much appreciate the link ...:ty:

Now I know where to buy just gotta decide what to buy ! :thinking:

Torpedo said:
But the max aperture for the 100-400L is 5.6.
I should get my sigma 1.4x tomorrow and will try then.

Well it's 4.5 at the short end, but perhaps it does lose AF with the 20D. I know it works with the 1D because IanC_UK used the 1.4 converter on his 100-400 when we were photographing Red Kites, with my 1D body after I ran out of card space. :shrug: I seem to remember Ian remarking AF slowed down somewhat though. Still... we'll know soon enough.

Dayum! Still... pretty useful all the same. :)

Just got my Sigma 1.4x and have indeed lost AF on my 100-400L and 20D :(
I've read somewhere you can fool the camera by taping up certain pins on the TC? Anyone know anything about this? And is it safe to do?

I have a cheap Tamron 1.4x TC. It does not 'reveal' itself to the camera so AF works just the same on my 20D with the 100-400L with or without it. Being cheap i can see a quality reduction but comparing an enlarged non TC to shot with one with the TC I do gain more detail in the image with the TC (if that makes any sense :) )

So I guess the taping thing might work.

evilowl said:
I paid £229 for my TC14E-II, £100 cheaper than AJP.

As said earlier ... thanx muchly for the linky Evilowl ... (y)

Decided to go for the TC-14E II as well ... and ... guess what ...

AJP matched the price ... :clap: :D :banana:

Still my fave supplier then ... :plus1:

... you only gotta ask ...(y)

So thanx again for the tip m8 ... very useful ... :ty:

:p

Torpedo said:
Just got my Sigma 1.4x and have indeed lost AF on my 100-400L and 20D :(
I've read somewhere you can fool the camera by taping up certain pins on the TC? Anyone know anything about this? And is it safe to do?

I've found this info. I can't vouch for it's accuracy so use it at your own discretion.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0078YS

Some owners have found this works and some have found it doesn't, even with the same lens/camera combo.

Back