Sigma 300mm f/2.8...

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
Iam seriously considering getting myself a Sigma 300mm f2.8 EX DG HSM for my sport and wildlife photography, maybe using aswell a 2x converter. Iam just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this lens and what it is like in lowlight and how the overall focus speed is and with converters on, Be good to know if anyone has used it with a 2x or 1.4x converter and how they got on with them, and any sample images would be brill!

Joe

I'm sure I've seen posts that recommend the 120-300 2.8 over the 300 2.8 prime in the past. I've had zero experience of either though, but I'm sure those who have will post.

As above really I have no experience with the 300mm prime but I have been using a 120-300 F/2.8 non OS since April and I bloody love it. Great lens. Not so brilliant with tele convertors, especially 2x but that said I was using Canon ones and the Sigma ones are supposed to perform better.

If I were you I'd be hanging my nose over the new 'S' model 120-300 2.8

Harry.

PS, nice portfolio.

Hi Joe I am using one at the moment and I have not used much else since I got it,i only bought it due to the low light with my owl at the moment, it is heavy and works great with my x1.4 ,you need a tripod for the x2 definitely , I did a lot of research and reviews before I got one but I am happy with it.Sorry joe forgot to say I am using the 300mm 2.8 prime

Hi Joe I am using one at the moment and I have not used much else since I got it,i only bought it due to the low light with my owl at the moment, it is heavy and works great with my x1.4 ,you need a tripod for the x2 definitely , I did a lot of research and reviews before I got one but I am happy with it.Sorry joe forgot to say I am using the 300mm 2.8 prime

Thanks for the info Den, Iam very tempted of switching my 300mm f/4 for it, I like the compact size and quick focusing it offers along with the f/2.8!

I had the Nikon 300F4.

Soldi IT and bought a 120-300 2.8 non OS plus a sigma x2 TC for a trip to Scotland .

Great combination and as an old photographer used to manual everything in my distant past, I don't miss the OS.

I use it either handheld or tripod mounted.

I have the OS version of the 120-300 and it's a great lens, only negatives being it's damn huge and heavy and with the 2xTC it's a little soft, but then I doubt the 300 prime will be sharp with the same TCs. Even wide open the lens appears to out resolve the D7000 sensor, even with a 1.4TC. I'm very happy with mine. How it compares to a 300 f/2.8 I'm not sure but as a separate lens I love it.

Ok, so probably not the best examples but here are some screenshots of a few images at 100% These are processed photos but I don't sharpen my TIFFs (and don't have the originals to hand).

W3kgGST.png

From
8926455104_b9d8273e08_o.jpg

300mm f/2.8

IoWfoow.jpg

From
8925854105_55b7b03725_o.jpg

330mm f/4 (1.4TC)

s8zjErp.jpg

From
8926400280_a5b4645905_o.jpg

600mm f/5.6 (2xTC)

Super sharp on everything but the 2xTC where it's acceptable but not super sharp.
(sorry about the huge 100% images, apparently screenshots are saved as PNGs...)

Last edited:
How did you find the AF with the converter on and hit rate?

Really depends on shutter speed, which of course is dependent on available light andiso capability. Also I'm very fussy over what I keep.

Also as I said before, I grew up without OS so don't have an issue with allowance for that.

I will try to find some images and post them up, but am not on pc for next week or so.

Clarity of the 2x is great on screen and have printed at 12x10 no problem.

Back