Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM
Fast maximum aperture F2.8 telephoto lens optimised for digital SLR cameras.

 Multi layer lens coating minimises flare and ghost.
 Two ELD (extraordinary low dispersion) glass elements produce excellent imaging capability.
 Accepts both 1.4x and 2.0x EX Teleconverters to produce 420mm F4 and 600mm F5.6 Autofocus ultra telephoto optics.

300mm%20F2.8%20EX%20DG.jpg

The Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new 300 F2.8 APO EX DG HSM lens.

A versatile, fast aperture telephoto lens for both digital and film SLR cameras. Two ELD glass elements reduce chromatic aberration to a minimum and also ensure sharp, quality images of high contrast.

The new multi layer lens coating reduces flare and ghosting, which is a common problem with digital SLR cameras. The overall length of the lens does not change during focusing, ensuring convenient handling and ease of use.

The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) models provide fast, silent AF function as well as full- time manual focus override. A drop-in 46mm filter holder in the rear part of the lens barrel can be rotated to facilitate the use of filters, including a polarising filter, in situ.

Simply adding an APO teleconverter (optional extra), means that this lens can be used as a 420mm F4 AF ultra-telephoto lens with a 1.4X EX teleconverter, or a 600mm F5.6 AF ultra-telephoto lens with a 2X teleconverter.

THE SPECIFICATIONS
Focal Length :300mm
Minimum Aperture :F32
Lens Construction :11 Elements in 9 Groups
Angle of View :8.2°
Number of Diaphragm Blades :9pcs
Minimum Focusing Distance :250cm(98.4”)
Maximum Magnification :1:7.5
Filter Size :46mm (drop-in type)
Lens Hood :Bayonet Hood
Dimensions :Diameter 119mm (4.6”) x Length 214.5mm (8.4”)
Weight :2400gr/84.6oz
Fittings :confused:igma, Canon, Nikon-D, Konica/Minolta and Pentax
SRP :£1799.99

 The appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.

For further information please contact:

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd
13 Little Mundells
Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire
AL7 1EW

Tel: 01707 329 999
Fax: 01707 327 822

E-Mail: sales@sigma-imaging-uk.com

looks nice but £1800 :shock: :shock:

Slot in filters at the rear and a hefty price tag (admittedly RRP) are not the best selling points. Does this lens have an equivalent to Canon's "IS" as without it and at that price they are really going to struggle to get sales away from the 300L IS which is tried and tested and known to be excellent plus is half that price is bought abroad. Obviously that only applied to Canon fit version but I am guessing that Nikon will have a similar lens at that focal length with their version of IS?

they are really going to struggle to get sales away from the 300L IS which is tried and tested and known to be excellent plus is half that price is bought abroad

The canon lens is still over £3000 here and presumably the sigma can also be had for less than the £1800 UK price from overseas as well. I'd still want the canon if I was able to get a 300mm F2.8 as I don't trust sigma to be able to match the optical quality. There will always be people though that will stick to the line that the sigma is every bit as good just without the brand name loading and I"m sure it will be good but not as good. As with all things I guess, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Sorry my mistake quoted for the F4 version although for the money, size and weight differences, this would be my choice of lens over the F2.8 version anyway.

Canon EF Fixed Focal Length Lens - 300mm f/4.0 L IS USM £849.00 inc. UK VAT

For your fast and safe receipt, this item is sent using Royal Mail Special Delivery and will usually be delivered within 24 hours.

Where would that 300 f4 be from?

I was going to be getting one next week and that's £60 cheaper than I've seen, assuming it's a UK supplier.

Would like to have the f2.8, well who wouldn't but unless it's going to pay for itself and quickly too it's rather impossible to justify even if it was obtainable. :D

Steve, you're a star. 8) :D

Not sure how I missed them but they are also £30 or so cheaper than the best price I found for the 8mm sigma I need.

Ta most muchly. :D

I don't know dazzajl, in one post you're saying you don't trust them in the next you're buying one! no one ever seems to stick to their principles anymore :D

I was waiting for that. :LOL:

I stand guilty as charged :eek:ops: but Sigma are the only people that currently make a full 180 degree fisheye for the EOS range and I need one to do some virtual tour stuff for a client. I'll be charging them canon lens prices though. :wink:

Well I have used 7dayshop for lenses in the past and not had any issues with them. Remember that Canon lenses are cobvered by international warranty so if you have any issues you can return them to any authorised Canon dealer.

I bought my 100-400L from 7dayshop and I was very impressed with their delivery time.

Back