Sigma 30mm f/1.4 WOW

Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine has bought the 400D with the kit lens, and he was never satisfied with the results. He was always getting lenses from me whenever we went out. He always fancied the nifty fifty but has always found it a bit too long for his type of photography. He asked me for my advice on a lens purchase and I told him to go for the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX. I ordered it for him (Thanks OSD) and it arrived yesterday. He came over and I decided to do an impromptu test of the lens, because I was thinking of buying it myself. What can I say, the lens is sharp from f/1.4 and gets sharper than anything by f/4.
I then decided to do an unfair comparison, just to show my friend the capabilities of the lens. I took a picture of his eye with the kit lens at 30mm wide open at f/4.5 and the same photo with the sigma at the same focal length at the same aperture. I was shocked by the results.

2442311611_1d944b2d80_o.jpg

The lens is beautifuly built, very fast AF, feels solid, it has a good weight to it though not heavy at 430g.

I'll definitely get one for me!

Wow! thats fqantastic - i have just made my mind up about the lens I am getting so I am not changing my mind again! (Or am I?)!!

I had one when i had my 350D and loved it. I bought it to replace the Canon 50mm f/1.8 which, like your friend, I found was too long for use n a crop body.

Personally I can't wait for the release of the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 If it is a s good as the 30mm I will definitely be getting one to stick on my 5D

I've been mulling the idea of one of these just for the 5D as I think it's a lovely length for FF.

A 50 is great but somehow that little bit of distortion you can either hide or tap into from a 30mm feels far more creative to me. That and the need to get in amongst the action a little more.

Not always a good thing if it's a portrait though.

I've been mulling the idea of one of these just for the 5D as I think it's a lovely length for FF.

A 50 is great but somehow that little bit of distortion you can either hide or tap into from a 30mm feels far more creative to me. That and the need to get in amongst the action a little more.

Not always a good thing if it's a portrait though.

Unfortunately the 30mm 1.4 is a DC lens. But something of a similar focal length might work for you.

Unfortunately the 30mm 1.4 is a DC lens

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :crying:

Swines.

and that would fit on the D3 I keep thinking about. :LOL:

There's always the lovely Nikkor 35mm f2 ;)

Indeeeeeeeeeed.

I had the 30mm 1.4 used on a set of D200's. It provided many months of low light shallow dof joy. It produces lovely colours and is sharp from the go ahead. I replaced my primes with a 17-55 2.8 as changing lenses became something of a chore in the end. Though now, I cant help but want my primes back. A 20, 30, 50 and 85 would be great again.

i KNEWWWW i should have gone for that one :(....i cheaped out and went for the canon 50mm f/1.8 at about 60pounds, i thought for the bit of difference it wasnt going to make or break....how wrong i was! okay amending list of things to buy next as we speak!

I bought this one after getting the 50mm f1.8. The 50mm is just too long for indoor shots.
Love the sharpness and contrast of this lens.

The whole street thing is not really my bag but when I do indulge I do like the reportage style of a person in a setting, with a story and context. So the wider side appeals to me.

A fast lens and creamy smooth high ISO performance...... just yum really. :LOL:

Back