Review Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC Review

Edit My Images
No
This is the beginning of a review into my new Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC. This is the new "Art" branded one.
I had been searching, reading and pondering a lens in this range for a while as I sometimes find my 50mm too close on the 7D. Lots of options in this area: Canon 28mm 1.8, old Sigma 30mm 1.4 and Canon 35mm f2 were all in my budget range and there are loads of reviews, tests and forum discussions out there which didn't make the choice any easier. I won't summarise these again because you can read them all for yourself!
Anyway, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC seemed to have the right combination for me of focal length, wide apeture (that can actually be used wide open without being too soft) and fast-silent focussing. I am also not going to be going ff anytime soon.
Here are some early shots (ignore the subject matter!):

IMG_2697 by jimi-the-fish, on Flickr

shot at f/2

IMG_2695 by jimi-the-fish, on Flickr

IMG_2696 by jimi-the-fish, on Flickr

shot at f/4 and increasingly oof to show the bokeh which is very pleasant imho.

Finally, dof:

IMG_2693 by jimi-the-fish, on Flickr

f/4

IMG_2692 by jimi-the-fish, on Flickr

f/2

So far it looks good to me.
People worry about corner sharpness with these lenses but that's not really an issue for me as the corners are usually oof anyway.

Not a proper test but hope it is useful.:)

J

Thanks for the review, I am seriously considering purchasing one myself!

How do you find the focusing accuracy with this lens out of the box, as it's focusing accuracy that has always been Sigma's achillies heel. The thing I love about these new 'art' lenses is the usb dock which allows you to fine tune the auto focus and update the chip to make it compatible with new bodies.

I would also love to see some more shots from this lens if you have any?

Cheers,

Del

Last edited:
I loved mine but the back-focus was just so terrible I had to use MF a lot, which was a PITA! Sold it in the end and got an OEM prime.

I loved mine but the back-focus was just so terrible I had to use MF a lot, which was a PITA! Sold it in the end and got an OEM prime.

Yes, but you can now buy the USB dock which allows you to plug the lens into your laptop and correct any focusing issues yourself without having to send it off the Sigma for adjusting. For me that is a big selling point and it also provides a solution to Sigma's hit and miss focusing issues!

Yes, but you can now buy the USB dock which allows you to plug the lens into your laptop and correct any focusing issues yourself without having to send it off the Sigma for adjusting. For me that is a big selling point and it also provides a solution to Sigma's hit and miss focusing issues!

Oh...link?

Thanks for the review, I am seriously considering purchasing one myself!

How do you find the focusing accuracy with this lens out of the box, as it's focusing accuracy that has always been Sigma's achillies heel. The thing I love about these new 'art' lenses is the usb dock which allows you to fine tune the auto focus and update the chip to make it compatible with new bodies.

I would also love to see some more shots from this lens if you have any?

Cheers,

Del

Seems fine to me so far. I know there were quoted issues with some batches of the previous model, I can adjust on the 7d if necessary or try the USB dock but I don't think they are available yet.

J

Only on the new Sigma lenses - anything prior to this first product from the Art line won't be user correctable with the USB device.

You sold a brand new Art 30f1.4 literally as soon as you got it, instead of returning it or contacting Sigma UK?

I got outbid on a Canon 28 f1.8 on ebay a little while back, this looks a far better alternative!

Looks bokehlicious, anyone tried the sigma 50 1.4? Considering replacing my canon 50 1.8 and after going with the sigma 24-70 2.8 I'm liking Sigma lenses :)

From the amount of times my Canon 50 f/1.4 has been in repair shop i'm replacing it with the Sigma 50mm... built a hell of a lot more robustly. Terms of build quality there definitely isn't much in it between the canon's f/1.8 & f/1.4.

Great lens, found it to be indispensable when I was shooting with my DX sensor Nikon as the 50mm's are often just that bit too long.

Back