Sigma 30mm F1.4 vs Sigma 28mm F1.8 vs Canon 28mm F2.8 vs Canon 28mm F1.8

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking at investing in a new lens and have read good things about both the above lenses. A lot of my photos will be taken in dark environments such as nightclubs and bars, so a low f number is desired.
Which would be the better lens for this application?

For use on a Canon 400D with standard on-camera flash.

*ammended with 2 new Canon lenses, both 28mm but different appertures*

ooo ill keep my eye on this thread as i was just about to post the exact same question all be it the 28mm im interested in is the canon one as its only £170 compared to the sigma 30mm @ £400.

The Canon one is f/2.8, the Sigma is f/1.4, which is two whole stops faster. The Sigma is much better built and has HSM and full-time manual focus too. I love the Sigma 30mm; the best walkaround fast prime for APS-C sensors for sure (y)

For this kind of work, I have always found myself stopping DOWN to f4 or so, 1.4 will just mean you'll get get one person half in focus, and the rest of them in the group into a blurred mush, so as nice as the sigma 30 1.4 is, the only real benefit that you'll get is sliiiightly faster focussing speed.

So faster focus speed yes, but tbh, af-assist from a speedlight, and a wide->normal fast zoom works great - check out the tamron 17-50 2.8, very very good lens. Lets you get a bit wider too, which is always nice for this sort of photography.

I have a Canon 28mm f2.8 and can't fault it when I want a light walkabout on the 30D, I find it a much more usefull length than my nifty.

For this kind of work, I have always found myself stopping DOWN to f4 or so, 1.4 will just mean you'll get get one person half in focus, and the rest of them in the group into a blurred mush, so as nice as the sigma 30 1.4 is, the only real benefit that you'll get is sliiiightly faster focussing speed.

So faster focus speed yes, but tbh, af-assist from a speedlight, and a wide->normal fast zoom works great - check out the tamron 17-50 2.8, very very good lens. Lets you get a bit wider too, which is always nice for this sort of photography.

I often use my Sigma instead of my 17-55/Speedlite combo in situations like this as I like to preserve as much of the ambient light as possible in a bar/club/gig. It's what sets my pics apart from the flashlit snaps that my mates post on facebook (for example) after the event, and really give mine the wow factor. Anyway, if you're using a flash, you may as well stick with the kit lens you (no doubt) already have and just get yourself a speedlite (y)

I have the Canon 28mm f1.8 and its good. Reasonably sharp at f1.8 and very sharp above f2.8.

I haven't used any of the others so can't compare.

Spanner > works

Have a think about the Canon 35mm F2

I had the Canon 28/1.8 for a while (I sold it to help finance a 17-55/2.8). It's actually not as bad as many reviews would make out. Yes, it's rather soft at f1.8 but it sharpens up pretty quickly (even a f2.0 is a noticeable improvement). It's very well made, has USM and internal focusing.

Actually, I rather miss having it and would probably buy it again...although I'd check out the Sigma as well.

I often use my Sigma instead of my 17-55/Speedlite combo in situations like this as I like to preserve as much of the ambient light as possible in a bar/club/gig. It's what sets my pics apart from the flashlit snaps that my mates post on facebook (for example) after the event, and really give mine the wow factor. Anyway, if you're using a flash, you may as well stick with the kit lens you (no doubt) already have and just get yourself a speedlite (y)

yeah, no, I appreciate this, and a fast prime is good for more 'atmospheric' shots, but won't be any good at f1.4 for the small groups of people that is 'stereotypical' of club photography, purely because of the low depth of field - yes, flash looks nastyish, but it's sure as hell better than one person's nose in focus and the rest in mush! Used properly (which is most definitely the exception!), flash can look fine for club work.

And no, a kit lens would focus painfully slowly if at all in a club situation.

Most 'club photographers' in my experience barely have an idea wrt flash exposure compensation or similar, resulting in typically underexposed and pretty naff photos. iso 800, f4, Underexpose the flash by 1.3-1.7 stops, 1/40th sec to burn in the back (but don't do that whole horrendous wavey camera thing). Get creative with the 'wide' club shots seperately with the flash off. Job done.

I have the Sigma 30 1.4 and tbh it's a fantastic lens providing of course you get a good one. For once at this price point it's built better and is better than the dedicated Canon equivalent which usually are better in all aspects. Tack sharp from f2 down.

Just to chip in my two penneth (and burst the psoting cherry) I've got a 28mm sigma 1.8 and I've found no real problems with it at all, I'm impressed with both build and picture quality even wide open.

100crop.jpg

This is a 100% crop of a shot taken at f/1.8 and it seems acceptably sharp to me.

Sigma 30mm is a good lens. Purple fringing is very noticeable at f/1.4 but is greatly reduced by f/1.8. Sharpness is good wide open and very good by f/2. Definitely usable at f/1.4 although I tend to use f/1.8 & f/2 most of the time. Biggest issue for me is front focussing on my 7D where it needs +10 micro-adjustment to correct. Strangely my 40D focusses fine so it could just be 7D/30mm combo problem. Bokeh is very nice and build quality is good (better than EF/EF-S but not L).

Basically, it is not perfect but it is the best budget really fast lens available on a crop body. I like the range and it is great for party shoots.

Ok - I've tried most of the lenses mentioned except for the Sigma 28mm f1.8

FWIW these are my opinions:

Canon 28mm f2.8 - Cheap, fairly sharp, not fast enough for a low-light walkaround IMHO

Canon 28mm f1.8 - I own this now, I like it, it's ok f1.8 as long as you don't pixel-peep. From just f2 it gets really sharp

Canon 35mm f2 - Great litte lens - focus fast despite buzzy sound, I find it long as a walkaround on 1.6x. Sharp @ f2

Sigma 30mm f1.4 - Tried almost 20 of these on 3 different bodies all had focussing accuracy problems (most front focussed at medium-long subject distances). I'd buy this lens if I could find one that focusses ok.

Phil

I'm surprised by reports of fringing with the Sigma f1.4, I have one and I've never noticed any or any focus issues. I'm also surprised by reports of the Sigma 28mm f1.8 being soft as I've personally only read good things about it. I have the Sigma 20mm f1.8 which I believe is very similar and I think that it's a great lens and if anything maybe better than the Sigma 30mm f1.4.

Phil, I'm not trying to be funny, but 20 lenses all with focus issues? Is it definitely the lenses and not a technique issue?

I mention this as someone tried my Sigma 50mm f1.4 and instantly dismissed it as a missfocusing pile of poo but it was obvious to me that it was his technique as I could see that he was half pressing the shutter button, focusing, and then moving as he pressed the shutter and at f1.4 you just can't do that and get a sharp shot.

100% crop with the Sigma 30mm.

IMG_9130-01c100.jpg

Phil, I'm not trying to be funny, but 20 lenses all with focus issues? Is it definitely the lenses and not a technique issue?

I mention this as someone tried my Sigma 50mm f1.4 and instantly dismissed it as a missfocusing pile of poo but it was obvious to me that it was his technique as I could see that he was half pressing the shutter button, focusing, and then moving as he pressed the shutter and at f1.4 you just can't do that and get a sharp shot.

No, I know it might sound like incompetence, but it isn't. Your shot would have also come out fine on all the ones I tried - this wasn't where the problem manifested.

1) I've owned many fast lenses including the 85L, 35L, 85mm 1.8, 24L and I'm perfectly capable of getting sharp shots with those wide open.

2) I could get sharp shots with the Sigma 30 wide open on close subjects where technique is most critical - it was distant subjects that were out - in one example 6 feet off (NOT using focus-recompose) I set up test shots at different distances and apertures and could get repeatable errors. In your shot subject was too close to show AF error.

3) Some of the lenses were tested by shops who agreed with my results and refunded.

4) The Sigma 50 FWIW does have 'issues' - mine is great on my 5D but less reliable on my 50D where it randomly chooses to back focus. I also find that avoiding the outermost focus points improves AF performance.

As a general issue I'm not surprised Sigmas can be less reliable on AF as they do not have access to Canon AF algorithyms. Having said that I have used some Sigmas (an old 70-300 APO & 150mm macro) with perfect AF.

A similar discussion was had on another forum where people questioned my results and the OP decided to buy a Sigma 30mm. A while after the OP had started the thread he revived it and said 'I wish I'd listened to you, Phil, I have all sorts of AF problems with my Sigma'

I think most people using the lens must take shots like yours which are not affected by the issues as they are closer subject distances.

Phil

"I think most people using the lens must take shots like yours which are not affected by the issues as they are closer subject distances."

Looks like our experiences with Sigma 30mm are completely different Phil. That shot of mine wasn't particularly close, she's a small child and it's a heavy crop, and regardless of that I've had this lens for years and used it in all lighting and weather conditions and at all distances without issue.

Here's a couple more 100% crops taken from further away, and much further away. The detail in these shots is amazing and by no means unique, I've got loads of them. I'm just sorry that you can't find a good copy of this lens.

d2-1c2.jpg

b8c1.jpg

No disrepsect Philippe, but for one person to go through 20 (20?!) copies of a lens, all with issues, and for me to land a good copy on my first go is remarkable, odds-wise. Any of the focussing issues I have had with the 30 1.4 have definitely been user-made. I'm certainly not saying that it's the greatest lens on earth; centre sharpness is certainly better than corner, for example, but it's an extremely satisfying lens to use (if you get a good copy ;)), and I can quite understand it's popularity despite the mixed reviews it gets; it's IQ and build quality, combined with the FTM and HSM, make it a lovely little package. The Canon offering in the same area either seem plasticky or prehistoric in comparison.

I'm delighted that others have found good copies of this lens and maybe I will too! There are plenty who say they've got good copies & plenty that have had the same problem as me!

What surprised me most is that the errors were not subtle and could not possibly be down to user error - the mis- focussing was between a foot and 6 foot and I deliberatly chose large subjects and different camera bodies & as I mentioned before I've had a lot of similar lenses without issue so I know it's not me!!!

Anyhow, the Sigma is a good lens and one day I'll get one that works!!!

Phil

I agree that the Sigma 30mm 1.4 if a stonker, especially for center sharpness, but not great for edge sharpness. The only copy I have was bought used, and it's perfect. This is with a D300s though so dialed +8 on AF fine tune. I don't think non-AF tunable bodies will have much with this lens though.

30mm F1.4.

First one I bought used was perfect - focus spot on every time. I foolishly sold it thinking if I needed another I could just buy one.

When I needed another I ended up sending 4 back because I could not get one that was acceptably accurate with the focus. All exhibited focus issues. The common theme was very similar to what Phil experienced - front focus at further distances. By further I am talking between 5 & 10 metres. Get towards the infinity mark and all is fine - close up all is fine. Just that specific range.

Back