Sigma 30mm f2.8 or Sony 50mm f1.8

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I ended up grabbing a Sony A6000 at the weekend with the kit lens for everyday/travel stuff. Nice little camera and more compact than my Sony HX400V.

I can use the kit lens for some work related stuff where I need the wide shots and I can use the Sony HX400V for outdoor dog shots thanks to the ridiculous but rather excellent zoom. But for indoor stuff of my son and family plus general travel etc I need something more suitable and fast. I think the Sigma 60mm 2.8 is too long and the 30mm may be more suitable (being APS-C x1.5 then it's 45mm). But then would the extra speed of the Sony 50mm 1.8 be more beneficial or do you reckon 1.8 will probably be fairly unusable anyway and I'll end up stopping down to 2.8 with it?

I bought the 50mm 1.8 for my A6000 and although IQ is fantastic I find it a bit long for general use so I picked up the 19mm Sigma 2.8 to compliment it ....and I love it!
If I didn't already have the 50mm I would have gone for the Sigma 30mm though,

Cheers. I ordered the 30mm and it arrived today but they sent a 4/3 version so it's going back. Was struggling to find the 30mm in black in stock anywhere ended up buying the Sony 50mm. Figured I wanted to be able to throw the background out more and also hope the OSS helps with video.

Do you know why the Sigma is out of stock everywhere?

I think it's just that they're the only good quality affordable e-mount lens you can buy, they just cant keep up with demand.
I had to buy a used 19mm because I couldn't find a new one in black anywhere in the UK, it's crazy!

i think sigma cant produce its lenses fast enough atm

60mm is a great length on apsc, and theres tons of old great 50mms about

28 to 35 is really nice lengths too

I have a 50mm f1.4 and I use it a lots for portraits and sometime general use- I love it and at f1.4 the BG is throw way out of focus

Les

Back