Sigma 35mm 1.4

It's only the new selection of lenses - ART etc, so covering the 35mm 1.4, 120-300 2.8 and 18-35 1.8 (plus any other new lenses I may have missed).

Thanks very much for the reply.
Not really up on the Sigma's yet but take it the 85mm is an older model then?
I'm not 100% certain if it'll be the Sigma 85 or the 1.2 I'll be getting yet - but it's good to know it'll definitely work on the 35mm :)

Money cometh,money goeth.:LOL:

And money wenth! :LOL:

Picked one up 2nd hand the other week, got round to AF fine tuning it tonight and its a peach! Only need +10, was impressed! My other lenses on the D800 needed a bit more! :LOL:

CA seems to be quite bad though? Not ran a file through LR yet, so I'm guessing LR fixes it pretty easily?

Are you sure it's not your D800 is the issue Mank? As I've not had any issues with any lenses I've used with mine. Surely yours can't all be off?!

I used the Sigma for a christening today, and it performed admirably. That and my 85 1.8 was all I needed. Just about to process the images now but already delighted from viewing the RAWs. It's so good in dim lighting. I didn't want to use flash in the church, as the natural light, what there was of it, coming through the church windows was real nice.

Last edited:
Don't think so Keith. They all work fine now they've been tuned. Depends how anal you are too to them being in focus. :LOL:

I gave the 35mm a run out at todays wedding, used it for pretty much all my preps instead of the 24-70 (still used the 70-200 on the D3) and I got on with it a lot better than I thought. f1.4 is just yummy too! I think it could be bad for me though, as I know I could end up wanting a 85 f1.4 to match it.... :LOL:

I must be very un-anal then :D If they seem to bang on focus to my eyes, that'll do me ;)

I used mine at 2.8+ mostly for the job, just didn't want to mess about with 1.4 while on the move. There was 15 kids at the christening. My job was not only to get the 2 babies being christened, but a bunch of family shots, including all those terrors together!! 1.4 was never happening there :D

In the church I was working between ISO 1000 and 2000 at f/2.8 - 4. They turned out really nice, and combined with LR5 processing, nothing to fear about dimly lit interiors :)

Not ideally the best lens for this shot, but it was all I had to hand as I should have been out the door and on my way to the church 10mins before this shot (bride was running late) but pretty happy with this.

Beautiful Bride by rob_mank, on Flickr

So after a month with the lens, I've got to say I'm really impressed.

I've been using it on my D3 and D800 - the AF has no problem keeping up with the D3 and some motorsport stuff and the resolution is amazing on the D800.

I don't know why anyone would go and buy the Nikon 35mm 1.4G now, especially as this is nearly half the price!

I love the lens, but I'm having problems with the left and right-hand edge AF points on my D800. Although I get focus confirmation, the focus actually seems to be a foot or two in front of the intended subject. Have you noticed anything similar with yours? I don't have this problem with any other lenses on my D800 and the 35mm doesn't have the issue on my D700. It only seems to be a D800/Sigma 35mm issue.

I love the lens, but I'm having problems with the left and right-hand edge AF points on my D800. Although I get focus confirmation, the focus actually seems to be a foot or two in front of the intended subject. Have you noticed anything similar with yours? I don't have this problem with any other lenses on my D800 and the 35mm doesn't have the issue on my D700. It only seems to be a D800/Sigma 35mm issue.

Not that I've noticed, however most of the time I'm shooting the pit lane with the 35mm on the D3 and 85mm 1.4 on the D800. All of the shots above were with the D3/35mm combo.

Just seen this thread again. I have been using my Sigma 35mm on my new D750 and forgot how good this lens is. Tuned it yesterday with dot tune and ended up needing +8 and its bang on focus at near and far focus distances. Anyone know how to embed photos here just to I post a few samples ?

Just seen this thread again. I have been using my Sigma 35mm on my new D750 and forgot how good this lens is. Tuned it yesterday with dot tune and ended up needing +8 and its bang on focus at near and far focus distances. Anyone know how to embed photos here just to I post a few samples ?

Using Flickr, grab the BBC code, copy and paste it here.

Using Flickr, grab the BBC code, copy and paste it here.

Can't even remember my flickr log in I haven't used it in that long. Set one up recently to upload a few photos of a camera I sold will try to remember the details.

Back