Sigma 35mm 1.4

May as well throw up one of my [very loose, hand held] testers. Focus was on the mm here:

4ds02Di.jpg

No processing or anything, just RAW ran through LR4, clicked 'Auto' and exported.

May as well throw up one of my [very loose, hand held] testers. Focus was on the mm here:

4ds02Di.jpg

No processing or anything, just RAW ran through LR4, clicked 'Auto' and exported.

Looks like happy days mate!(y)

Seen that the other day. I love how he calls it cheap, when it cost me €1000 to get here almost :D

I've not used the others, and not even pushed the sigma yet, but so far the bokeh is very creamy to me.

Any of you who were brave enough to try abroad got your lens yet?

I'm really liking it have to say, I have tried it combined with flash stopped down, but where it shines for me is wideopen to the f/4 range, natural light. Sure, you get heavy ignetting at 1.4 - f/2 - but it adds to the 'feel' for me, plus it's easy get rid of in LR - I find if you go to profiles, select Sigma [it auto goes to 12-24 for some reason] and choose the sigma 24-70 from the list, it clears up most vignetting and any distortion you may get - which is minimal, but can happen when focusing very close in.

It's timefor beerkeh! by Cagey75, on Flickr

Lens: 35.0 mm f/1.4
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/2.0
ISO Speed: 1000
Focal Length: 35 mm
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

Check it out full size - focus somewhere around the cold filtered - just messing about, but I love the bokeh it delivers, even in a messy kitchen - who needs to clean up the backdrop? :D

Cagey75 said:
Any of you who were brave enough to try abroad got your lens yet?

I'm really liking it have to say, I have tried it combined with flash stopped down, but where it shines for me is wideopen to the f/4 range, natural light. Sure, you get heavy ignetting at 1.4 - f/2 - but it adds to the 'feel' for me, plus it's easy get rid of in LR - I find if you go to profiles, select Sigma [it auto goes to 12-24 for some reason] and choose the sigma 24-70 from the list, it clears up most vignetting and any distortion you may get - which is minimal, but can happen when focusing very close in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cagey75/8462038785/
It's timefor beerkeh! by Cagey75, on Flickr

Lens: 35.0 mm f/1.4
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/2.0
ISO Speed: 1000
Focal Length: 35 mm
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

Check it out full size - focus somewhere around the cold filtered - just messing about, but I love the bokeh it delivers, even in a messy kitchen - who needs to clean up the backdrop? :D

No, nothing yet from panamoz :((((

^^ Panamoz are closed until the 17th for Chinese New Year

In other news, my D800 (amazon) and Sigma 35, 85 and Tokina 100 (DigitalRev) are due tomorrow. Very excited.

Last edited:
^^ Panamoz are closed until the 17th for Chinese New Year

In other news, my D800 (amazon) and Sigma 35, 85 and Tokina 100 (DigitalRev) are due tomorrow. Very excited.

So how did my mate get his 650d ordered on friday afternoon lol

** Holiday Notice **

Due to the Chinese New Year holiday, we will be closed from Feb 9th to Feb 17th, 2013. If you place an order now, it will be shipped on Feb 18th. In addition, our customer service will operate in limited capacity during the holiday. Please allow a response time of up to 72 hours.

** Holiday Notice **

Due to the Chinese New Year holiday, we will be closed from Feb 9th to Feb 17th, 2013. If you place an order now, it will be shipped on Feb 18th. In addition, our customer service will operate in limited capacity during the holiday. Please allow a response time of up to 72 hours.

My mate got lucky.8th he ordered

Hey,

Has anyone used the both the sigma and canon 35mm's 1.4's? Any thoughts on how the autofocus and build quality compares?

Reviews are pretty conclusive that the sigma is sharper and cheaper than the L, but I'm still deliberating between them both.... :)

Thanks

Hey,

Has anyone used the both the sigma and canon 35mm's 1.4's? Any thoughts on how the autofocus and build quality compares?

Reviews are pretty conclusive that the sigma is sharper and cheaper than the L, but I'm still deliberating between them both.... :)

Thanks

I know it's not much help as I've only used the Canon, but I've had it about a week now. It's built like an absolute tank and I'm not really sure how much quicker the autofocus could possibly be on the Sigma, as it's excellent on the Canon.

Personally, I'm not fussed about sharpness - the Canon is incredibly sharp for me. I certainly wouldn't want anything any sharper.

I suppose most of it is down to whether you want to stump up the extra £200ish.

How much is the Canon L 35? it's not showing up on amazon

One thing I will say on the sigma, and I can only compare it to 50mm primes or fast zooms really, never having owned a 35 1.4 in the past, is that I love the contrast and 'feel' it gives wide open and through to 2.8. It is also built very nicely, it's all steel and rubber, no plastic here. It looks really nice too, and balances really nicely on the D800, so I'm sure it would be similarly nicely balanced on a 5DIII

There's a unique quality to the images it pops out I feel, sure there's some vignetting, but I actually think in this case it works, adds something to the result. Of course you can clean that right up in LR if you don't like it, but I'm beginning to. It's like a different vignette you'd get from processing, it feels more natural, maybe it's just me?

Chris, you probably seen this, but this guy directly compares them and you get a good look at both side by side - you might want to flick to about 5mins in though as he does go on a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0TbylMtxg

Last edited:
It's £830 purchased through Panamoz, which is where I got mine.

I've never been bothered by vignetting, I usually add a bit in post anyway. And I know what you mean about that 'feel', despite talking about different lenses - something special about shooting a prime, wide open, with top glass on a full frame.

God, I'm sad.

Nothing sad about it! This is why we pay through the teeth for glass, to get these desired effects :) If you're sad, well, we all are! our partners would probably, no, definitely say so! But it's what we love, it keeps us happy so they should back off ;)

I paid £799 initially for the sigma, as there was a shortage of them about, and I have no patience ... but I did get £50 back after having to send the first iffy copy back, and complaining to the supplier that the price dropped on it right after I bought. They were good enough to compensate. If you don't ask ...

I can say to anyone looking to buy this lens. It's stunning. I hope sigma makes more lenses of this calibre

Picked up a copy a few days ago. Haven't tried it yet, in fact it's still in the box, but it looks well made with a great quality finish, unlike Sigma lenses of old.

Can't wait to try it out.

DB

It is ridiculously sharp. I actually can't see any extra sharpness stopping down abit. Never have seen an f1.4 lens deliver such results. Really is superb. Looking forward to sigmas next art series lens.

Mine is on my D800E at least 90% of the time. My 24-70 has barely got a look in since buying it. It is that nice to use. I forced myselfto use the 24-70 recently, as it wasbeing neglected. Love that lens, but the 35 is actually nicer to use, just simple, does everything the 24-70 can with a few steps forward or back.

I'm actually considering selling on the 24-70! and replacing it with a wide prime.

Last edited:
Nice example range there. Also very good looking cat.

Ours turns her head away whenever I try get pic's of her :D

He isn't a great poser most of the time, it took a few attempts to capture him being still. :D

It is ridiculously sharp. I actually can't see any extra sharpness stopping down abit. Never have seen an f1.4 lens deliver such results. Really is superb. Looking forward to sigmas next art series lens.

This has me considering it, I'm really looking for something that can do triple duty, a good fast lens for action(probabley not used faster than f/2 much), a good lens stopped down to makeup for my 16-35mm's weakness at the long end AND a good lens for trying out more shallow DOF landscape work.

I'v been using my 50mm 1.8 G for the latter but really I'm only happy with the sharpness at f2.5 and above for landscape my which point I'm not getting the isoltation I want with many subjects.

dsc5458p.jpg

Nevious bokeh doesnt really worry me too much as you can generally smooth that out but theres only so much extra overall blur you can add to a scene(espeically around the boarders of infocus objects) before it starts to look fake for me.

Last edited:
This has me considering it, I'm really looking for something that can do triple duty, a good fast lens for action(probabley not used faster than f/2 much), a good lens stopped down to makeup for my 16-35mm's weakness at the long end AND a good lens for trying out more shallow DOF landscape work.

I'v been using my 50mm 1.8 G for the latter but really I'm only happy with the sharpness at f2.5 and above for landscape my which point I'm not getting the isoltation I want with many subjects.

Nevious bokeh doesnt really worry me too much as you can generally smooth that out but theres only so much extra overall blur you can add to a scene(espeically around the boarders of infocus objects) before it starts to look fake for me.

I'm not a big fan of wide angles lenses at all but the IQ from this is truly knock your socks off performance.

I must use it more, can see it being a beautiful landscape lens.

On my D700 it looks as sharp at f1.4 as it does at f2.8

Will get to put it through its paces on the D800 soon

I'm finding mine is ace on the D4, and great on the D7100 although I think it's front focusing slightly on the DX and I'm yet to find the time to dial-it in.

I tried two copies of this lens today in a shop.

Both were awful out of the box but with +20 dialled in on the AF fine tune they were incredible. One was a tiny bit better than the other but there wasn't much in it.

I decided not to buy either but it was a really close call.

Both were awful out of the box but with +20 dialled in on the AF fine tune they were incredible. One was a tiny bit better than the other but there wasn't much in it.

Good to hear the cosmetics have changed but not the QC. :LOL:

.... Curse you Sigma, I still want it.

I tried two copies of this lens today in a shop.

I decided not to buy either but it was a really close call.

suspect if both were spot on at the same fine tuning maybe the body is out.....

I tested both canon and sigma 35's out at focus and looking at the the shots I can't tell them apart TBH..

I have a friend that works for sigma UK and he said they have pulled out all the stops to produce this new art range and there is a real buzz about the business... He isn't one to exaggerate either..

He also mentioned that he might be able to get me a 35 at cost/trade price.. happy days :D

I tested both canon and sigma 35's out at focus and looking at the the shots I can't tell them apart TBH..

I have a friend that works for sigma UK and he said they have pulled out all the stops to produce this new art range and there is a real buzz about the business... He isn't one to exaggerate either..

He also mentioned that he might be able to get me a 35 at cost/trade price.. happy days :D
which of the canon 35? the L or the new one with is ?

Back