Sigma 35mm art

Edit My Images
Yes
I have found myself thinking about getting one of these, don't have any primes at the moment. it would mostly be for landscape, anyone on here using one for that? it would be on my 5Dmk 4

I have a Sigma 35 1.4 art. I don't use it for landscapes, but I can tell you it's a very sharp lens, once calibrated, you really need to consider the Sigma dock or some other form of reliable calibration tuning for them.

It's also a heavy old thing as well!

Had one years back, lovely lens. You will need the dock though. The first copy I got could not be calibrated, horrific back focusing, the second needed tweaking but from there it was excellent.

I have a Sigma 35 1.4 art. I don't use it for landscapes, but I can tell you it's a very sharp lens, once calibrated, you really need to consider the Sigma dock or some other form of reliable calibration tuning for them.

It's also a heavy old thing as well!

Not all will require calibration out the box or only a slight tweak in camera adjust.

I have had a few of these, very sharp and contrasty lens but not sure if 35mm is a good fit for landscapes but then again I don't shoot much landscape stuff.

As others have said you may find it needs some micro adjustment. I have had a couple of copies for Nikon mount and they where both a little bit out one was only slightly out and I was able to fix using the camera micro adjust the other needed the dock to fix.

I now have one in Sony mount which being mirrorless doesn't need and micro adjustment :sony:

Do you plan to shoot landscapes at f1.4? If not why buy a f1.4 lens to shoot at slower apertures?

I had the lens on a-mount. It's very sharp and overall really nice lens.

I didn't have the sigma dock because I just used the incamera calibration which worked just fine for a prime. Dock is probably more useful for zooms.

Last edited:
Do you plan to shoot landscapes at f1.4? If not why buy a f1.4 lens to shoot at slower apertures?

I had the lens on a-mount. It's very sharp and overall really nice lens.

I didn't have the sigma dock because I just used the incamera calibration which worked just fine for a prime. Dock is probably more useful for zooms.

Sorry but you are wrong.

The 35mm art and the other art prime lenses are generally out different amounts at different distances. So the dock is very useful.

Last edited:
Sorry but you are wrong.

The art lenses are generally out different amounts at different distances. So the dock is very useful.

Can't say I had an issue. Only had to set it to -1 on the camera and it worked just fine.

Having never used sigma dock how does it compensate for different focus distances? Can you set a different amount of calibration for close focus and infinity?

Can't say I had an issue. Only had to set it to -1 on the camera and it worked just fine.

Having never used sigma dock how does it compensate for different focus distances? Can you set a different amount of calibration for close focus and infinity?

Yes, there are 4 options for shooting distance.

Beautiful lens but not sure if it’s the right choice for landscapes.

If you’re set on a sigma art a 24-35 f2 May be a better choice. Or the 20/24 primes.

As per nandy… why buy a prime for landscape? I assume most landscape shots will be taken with the lens stopped down and once you stop down the differences between a good prime and a decent zoom may become very difficult to see if you can see them at all.

To me primes have two advantages over zooms, they often have wider apertures and they're often more compact than a zoom but in the case of some of the newer f1.4 primes they're not exactly compact lenses so that's one advantage gone. Other things like being better corrected and having nicer bokeh may well only show up in specific circumstances. Primes are lovely things but I'm not so sure that many people actually need a 35mm f1.4 for landscape, unless they have a very specific scenario and end product in mind. Just my HO.

all food for thought, was only toying with the idea but the more think about it the more I think you're right, just a bit of GAS i think. Given that I have the canon 16-35 its a daft idea I know.

thanks all.

all food for thought, was only toying with the idea but the more think about it the more I think you're right, just a bit of GAS i think. Given that I have the canon 16-35 its a daft idea I know.

thanks all.

F4 or 2.8? A fast prime like this can still be really nice to have, even if you have cross over FL with your zooms. If you also like city/night scapes, a little street shooting and of course, it'll be great for portraits. But as you say mostly landscape your current zoom is more than good enough - whichever version

thanks all.

I have 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and still bought a 35/1.4.

The 34/1.4 is a different beast to the other lenses, it is however a skill onto itself to make full use of it. It is a skill to know what looks good for 35mm and how to make 35mm work for all kinds of situations.

its the f4 Keith, was also thinking about some astro and night stuff - painting with light etc.
I will use the 16 to 35 @ 35 for a while and see. plenty of time to write that letter to Santa yet!

its the f4 Keith, was also thinking about some astro and night stuff - painting with light etc.
I will use the 16 to 35 @ 35 for a while and see. plenty of time to write that letter to Santa yet!

Good plan, no point buying a fixed FL you may not want to use often. I find if I buy a prime, I'll just make it work, you get used to it very quickly and it never feels restrictive. There's a huge difference between 1.4 and F4 for any indoor use also if you ever shoot gigs, or events.

Very good and sharp out of the box here but it is only really used for lifestyle images. It can do landscapes just fine but with the zooms in the bag I see little point. You can do astro, but very likely will need to do a lot of frames and merging. 24mm or wider may be more suitable for the job. Aurora probably would be fine but I haven't really tried it

I have 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and still bought a 35/1.4.

The 34/1.4 is a different beast to the other lenses, it is however a skill onto itself to make full use of it. It is a skill to know what looks good for 35mm and how to make 35mm work for all kinds of situations.

Agree - I tend to look through my catalogue and I saw I use FL's like 32mm/ 34mm/35mm/36mm a helluva a lot so I use it a lot. Also if you do cityscape work it produces start bursts like no other. Brilliant lens.

Back