Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG/HSM

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG/HSM

High Magnification Ultra Telephoto Zoom Lens, with a 10x zoom ratio from 50mm to 500mm, optimized for digital SLR cameras.

 Most effective coating for minimizing flare and ghost with digital SLR cameras.
 Triple-cam Rear Focusing System ensures high precision throughout the whole focus range.
 Uses four SLD (the special low dispersion) glass elements for superior optical performance.
 Accepts both 1.4X and 2X APO EX Tele-Converters, the lens can be used as a 1000mm ultra-telephoto zoom lens.

50-500mm-EX-DG.jpg

Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new 50-500 F4-6.3 EX DG/HSM lens.

This high zoom ratio lens is optimized for digital SLR cameras and capable of covering a wide range of focal lengths from 50mm standard to 500mm ultra telephoto. This ultra-zoom lens employs a seven-group zoom system, which provides a high zoom magnification of 10x. Triple-cam Rear Focusing System ensures high precision throughout the whole focus range.

The new lens coating reduces flare and ghost, which is a common problem of digital cameras and also creates an optimum color balance.

This lens uses four pieces of SLD (the special low dispersion) glass for excellent correction of color aberration. A zoom lock switch eliminates ‘zoom creep’ during transportation, a convenient addition when traveling. The HSM(Hyper Sonic Motor) models provide quiet high-speed AF function, as well as full-time manual focus capability., The rear focus mechanism produces a non-rotating front lens element which accepts a bayonet "Petal-type Hood", which prevents extraneous light from degrading the image quality.

By adding an APO teleconverter (sold separately), you can use this lens as a 140-700mm F7.3-8.8 MF ultra-telephoto zoom lens with a 1.4X EX teleconverter, or as a 200-1000mm F10.4-12.6 MF ultra-telephoto zoom lens with a 2X teleconverter.(Teleconverters can be used in 100mm – 500mm focal length range)

THE SPECIFICATIONS
Focal Length :50-500mm
Minimum Aperture :F22
Lens Construction :20 Elements in 16 Groups
Angle of View :46.8°- 5°
Number of Diaphragm Blades :9pcs
Minimum Focusing Distance :100cm –300cm(39.3”-118.1”)
Maximum Magnification :1:5.2
Filter Size :86mm
Lens Hood :petal Hood
Dimensions :Diameter 95mm (3.7”) x Length 218.5mm (8.6”)
Weight :1842gr/64.9oz
SRP :£899.99
Fittings :confused:igma, Canon and Nikon-D,
(Konica/Minolta and Pentax TBA)

 The appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.

For further information please contact:

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd
13 Little Mundells
Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire
AL7 1EW

Tel 01707 329999
Fax 01707 327822
E-Mail sales@sigma-imaging-uk.com
Website www.sigma-imaging-uk.com

Great price I must say!

Just over 4.5 lbs, so it's half as heavy again as the Canon 100-400, but covering that zoom range, I suppose it's not bad.

IanC_UK said:
That covers a hooooooge number of lenses ! lol

Wonder how good it actually is ! :)

Those are my thoughts as well. If it is reasonable and the price should be a little cheaper when it hits the shops, it will certainly appeal to a wide customer base.

This is definately one to watch for and check the reviews as soon as samples become available.

Is it £160 better than the Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX APO which you can buy for £599 though??

These are quite nice, someone I work with has one he uses with a Fuji S2 Pro and he has had great results at sporting events with it.

His only gripe with it is the weight, he says if you use it for any serious amount of time it really needs to be on a monopod\tripod.

Back