Review Sigma 500 f4.5 APO EX DG HSM

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
There probably is a thread dealing with my question but i cant find one.
If there is anyone out there that as first hand knowledge of using one of these lenses, would you please share your experience and knowledge of this lens with me please. I'am particularly interested in speed of focus, image quality and compatibility with 1.4 & 2 times converters.
I use a canon 7d mark ii camera

Thanks.
John.

Come on Guys. There have been 72 views to this thread and no comments. Somebody out there must have one of these lenses and would share there experiences about it........PLEASE.

Maybe people viewed the thread to see a review of it, which is why I looked at the thread :)

Here's your best bet as not many will have this;

http://www.dpreview.com/products/sigma/lenses/sigma_500_4p5
Thank you for your links. They were very much appreciated.

I had one, Nikon mount ... it would not autofocus with a teleconverter fitted.

Whilst it was compact and relatively light compared to a 500 f4, image quality was not acceptable until shooting at f7.1, images were lacking contrast and punch at wider apertures, I was disappointed in the image quality considering it was not a cheap lens, I traded it for a Nikon 200-400.

Now the one thing I would say that I noticed on the time trawling around the internet was that the Canon fit version seemed to receive better reviews.

It was a shame as mechanically it is a well built lens, and was easy to handle with it's reduced size and weight.

I had one, Nikon mount ... it would not autofocus with a teleconverter fitted.

Whilst it was compact and relatively light compared to a 500 f4, image quality was not acceptable until shooting at f7.1, images were lacking contrast and punch at wider apertures, I was disappointed in the image quality considering it was not a cheap lens, I traded it for a Nikon 200-400.

Now the one thing I would say that I noticed on the time trawling around the internet was that the Canon fit version seemed to receive better reviews.

It was a shame as mechanically it is a well built lens, and was easy to handle with it's reduced size and weight.

Thank you for the input Martyn. Reading the reviews that were posted above and trawling around myself, I think it's a none starter as there seems to be too many variables about the lens to spend money on it. I suppose its back to saving up for a canon one.

Thank you for the input Martyn. Reading the reviews that were posted above and trawling around myself, I think it's a none starter as there seems to be too many variables about the lens to spend money on it. I suppose its back to saving up for a canon one.
Have you considered the Canon 100-400 MkII + 1.4x III. That will focus on your 7DII and from what I've read is a very capable setup.

Have you considered the Canon 100-400 MkII + 1.4x III. That will focus on your 7DII and from what I've read is a very capable setup.
Hi Glen. Yes i have considered the new 100-400 lens, I have in fact got the sigma 150-600 C, which to be honest i like, so the lack of reach on the 100-400 is a big factor. But i fancy a large prime lens but the price of them are very expensive and i'm not sure for a keen amateur i can justify that expense.
Thanks.
John

Hi Glen. Yes i have considered the new 100-400 lens, I have in fact got the sigma 150-600 C, which to be honest i like, so the lack of reach on the 100-400 is a big factor. But i fancy a large prime lens but the price of them are very expensive and i'm not sure for a keen amateur i can justify that expense.
Thanks.
John
Well, you can pay three grand for a fishing rod... !!
https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/Pol...M90-Pole.htm?gclid=COvOrOW0w8sCFc0y0wodB-0NaA

But I know what you mean.

Thanks.
John

I'm a keen amateur and have just justified the expense of a Nikon 500mm ;) check for non IS models second hand. As far as I understand it, IS/VR aren't as important at that length as you'll invariably be using it on a tripod or in a hide.

I'm a keen amateur and have just justified the expense of a Nikon 500mm ;) check for non IS models second hand. As far as I understand it, IS/VR aren't as important at that length as you'll invariably be using it on a tripod or in a hide.

Thanks Chris i think that's the route i will have to go down. I have already been looking tonight. I also agree about the IS/VR not being as important due to the fact that its not really going to be used hand held. I'm not in a mad rush so i will wait for a good one to turn up.
Thanks for the input.
John

Thanks Chris i think that's the route i will have to go down. I have already been looking tonight. I also agree about the IS/VR not being as important due to the fact that its not really going to be used hand held. I'm not in a mad rush so i will wait for a good one to turn up.
Thanks for the input.
John

The one I've bought is the Nikon 500 f4, the one before VR came into effect. Cost £2500 whereas the cheapest second hand VR ones were £4500. No way in my head does VR/IS justify £2000 (and 400g more). You're lucky, the canon 500s seem to be about 800g lighter than the Nikon equivalents).

What's your budget btw?
Hi Chris.
I haven't really got a budget to be honest. [Apart from cheap as possible.....LOL] Apart from the Canon 300 f4 all the other big lenses i have had have been Zooms, AND, I just fancied a big prime lens for the wildlife photography i do, mainly for the improved image quality. I don't want the 300 f2.8 and 1x4 converter, I do not know why apart from its lack of reach. The 400 F5.6 is an old design and long over due an update. I might be interested in one of these if they brought out a new version. The Canon 400 f2.8 Is way out of my league, price and weight wise. So that leaves the Sigma 500. Which is why i was asking on here what it was like, which the consensus of opinion is not great. So i'm now down to the Canon 500 F4. I have no problem buying second hand if the right lens in the right condition and right price came along. I also like you, would use it supported on a monopod or tripod so lack of IS/VR is not a problem. I forgot to mention the Canon 400 f4 DO mark i [ the mark ii, is way too pricey ] but i keep finding conflicting reports about the mark i version. So that fits into the, not got got a clue category. Although the price used for this lens is very attractive.

A used Canon 500mm F4 mark one goes for about £3000. I had one. IQ and autofocus are incredible. It is not too heavy for handheld shooting.

A used Canon 500mm F4 mark one goes for about £3000. I had one. IQ and autofocus are incredible. It is not too heavy for handheld shooting.

Haha you have to have a budget! As cheap as possible...well a new Canon 500mm f4 is £6799, so that's as cheap as possible for that lens ;) I mean there's this: http://www.ffordes.com/product/16031611240981 but that might be too much.
The cheap as possible bit was said with a lot of tongue in cheek.

hi I have an old sigma apo 500 4.5 on a sony a-mount and its really good in terms of reach, colours are not as good as Minolta old lens and sony g lens. I use the sigma for wildlife and the sweet spot seems to be between f8-f11 don't get me wrong its fine wide open and I have got shots with it that I would have missed without it. anyway my lens is twenty some years old and I can only imagine that the latest lens are better for tracking and focusing speed etc

hi I have an old sigma apo 500 4.5 on a sony a-mount and its really good in terms of reach, colours are not as good as Minolta old lens and sony g lens. I use the sigma for wildlife and the sweet spot seems to be between f8-f11 don't get me wrong its fine wide open and I have got shots with it that I would have missed without it. anyway my lens is twenty some years old and I can only imagine that the latest lens are better for tracking and focusing speed etc
Hi Gary thanks for that. unfortunately I'm still undecided. I think i will see if i can hire one for a weekend when the weather gets a bit more reliable and take it from there.

Hi John,
I have been using the Sigma 500 for the last 3 years for my bird images. I have no problems using the Sigma with a Canon 7D2. I have two websites . Check out the images , all made with the Sigma. normanwest4tography. Good luck with your decision but a word of warning. It becomes addictive.

Last edited:
Hi John,
I have been using the Sigma 500 for the last 3 years for my bird images. I have no problems using the Sigma with a Canon 7D2. I have two websites . Check out the images , all made with the Sigma. normanwest4tography. Good luck with your decision but a word of warning. It becomes addictive.
Thanks Norman, i appreciate your time in giving your views.
Regards John.

wow norman awesome bird pictures if only one day I could take just one picture as good as yours gary

Hi Chris.
I haven't really got a budget to be honest. [Apart from cheap as possible.....LOL] Apart from the Canon 300 f4 all the other big lenses i have had have been Zooms, AND, I just fancied a big prime lens for the wildlife photography i do, mainly for the improved image quality. I don't want the 300 f2.8 and 1x4 converter, I do not know why apart from its lack of reach. The 400 F5.6 is an old design and long over due an update. I might be interested in one of these if they brought out a new version. The Canon 400 f2.8 Is way out of my league, price and weight wise. So that leaves the Sigma 500. Which is why i was asking on here what it was like, which the consensus of opinion is not great. So i'm now down to the Canon 500 F4. I have no problem buying second hand if the right lens in the right condition and right price came along. I also like you, would use it supported on a monopod or tripod so lack of IS/VR is not a problem. I forgot to mention the Canon 400 f4 DO mark i [ the mark ii, is way too pricey ] but i keep finding conflicting reports about the mark i version. So that fits into the, not got got a clue category. Although the price used for this lens is very attractive.

John, just picked up on this thread, I used a late model 400DO mk1 for a couple of years, really liked it and it worked very well with the mk3 1.4 and 2x converters with a 1 Dx, sold it and got the mk2 (which is superb, by the way but vastly overpriced in the UK)

I'd say if you can try a later model (say post 2011) mk 1 you may well be surprised....and it's relatively light!!...and they are available at what I'd consider very reasonable price.

If you get up to Scotland (I haven't checked where you are based!) you're welcome to have a shot of the mk2!

George.

Edit..just seen you are in W Yorkshire......but the offer still stands!

Last edited:
John, just picked up on this thread, I used a late model 400DO mk1 for a couple of years, really liked it and it worked very well with the mk3 1.4 and 2x converters with a 1 Dx, sold it and got the mk2 (which is superb, by the way but vastly overpriced in the UK)

I'd say if you can try a later model (say post 2011) mk 1 you may well be surprised....and it's relatively light!!...and they are available at what I'd consider very reasonable price.

If you get up to Scotland (I haven't checked where you are based!) you're welcome to have a shot of the mk2!

George.

Edit..just seen you are in W Yorkshire......but the offer still stands!
Hi George. Thanks a lot for your offer, its very much appreciated.
The 400 Do f4 is one of the lenses i had in mind so thanks for that i will look for a post 2011 copy and see where we go from there.

Back