Sigma 500mm f4 Sport

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Just read over on Nikon Rumours that there is an expected announcement from sigma on this lens on Monday, it's on par with the Nikon 500 F4 FL weight wise and going on their past sports lens release it could be very interesting :)

Seen/read a couple of reviews and it looks promising. The UK price looks to be about £5k so quite a bit cheaper than the Canon Mk2 but a bit more than a used Canon Mk1.

Seen/read a couple of reviews and it looks promising. The UK price looks to be about £5k so quite a bit cheaper than the Canon Mk2 but a bit more than a used Canon Mk1.

Yeah, reviews are looking excellent and although the price is still eye wateringly expensive its nicely priced compared to the Nikon/Canon parties. Should work well with the 1.4 converter too. Can't wait to see peoples photos from this on here.

Cheers

Yeah, reviews are looking excellent and although the price is still eye wateringly expensive its nicely priced compared to the Nikon/Canon parties. Should work well with the 1.4 converter too. Can't wait to see peoples photos from this on here.

Cheers

I think we will have to wait for a little more "real world" feedback from independent reviewers/users.

I am quite sure the IQ will be very good - Sigma have already proved their ability to make top quality glass with their other Sports/Art products. My concern with this particular lens is the AF performance. Certainly Sigma have made significant strides forward in recent years but they still have to make their lenses match someone else's camera.For many (most?) users they have already achieved this but with the sort of tasks asked of a 500 F4 then even a small reduction in performance could blow the deal.

I would love to give one a thorough work out as I will probably be looking for a 500 F4 in the not too distant future as my current gear is getting heavier as I am getting older!

Fingers crossed!

I know someone with one in Nikon mount and the images look fab. Really well put together lens but beware trying to smuggle one in past the Mrs as the box it comes in huge.

Thats even better as I'm a Nikon shooter! :) Any info would be good.....

Cheers

Simon

I think we will have to wait for a little more "real world" feedback from independent reviewers/users.

I am quite sure the IQ will be very good - Sigma have already proved their ability to make top quality glass with their other Sports/Art products. My concern with this particular lens is the AF performance. Certainly Sigma have made significant strides forward in recent years but they still have to make their lenses match someone else's camera.For many (most?) users they have already achieved this but with the sort of tasks asked of a 500 F4 then even a small reduction in performance could blow the deal.

I would love to give one a thorough work out as I will probably be looking for a 500 F4 in the not too distant future as my current gear is getting heavier as I am getting older!

Fingers crossed!

Agreed, would be good to see if from the general publics point of view. Brad Hill has done some extensive testing and seems to like it:
http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#500mm_wars_1

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for those links - looks promising. I wonder how it compares to the Canon Mk2 version?

Back