Sigma 500mm f4

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,
For the last few weeks have been pondering over which 500mm f4 lens to go for. I shoot nikon and was all set for the nikon 500mm f4 g version second hand (funds won't stretch to a brand new f version). However I never even gave the sigma version a second thought as I have never seen one in the flesh or know anyone who has one however it can be got to 4999 brand new. So my question is does anyone have it? If so I'm looking for reviews on it an wether it is worth it or just stick to the nikon?

Sorry I should say I'm not interested in the 150-600mm I'm after a prime. The soon to be released 500mm 5.6 doesn't do it for me due to being a 5.6 so if I ever put a teleconverter on it that extra stop would just be too much for me especially at that price.

Sorry I should say I'm not interested in the 150-600mm I'm after a prime. The soon to be released 500mm 5.6 doesn't do it for me due to being a 5.6 so if I ever put a teleconverter on it that extra stop would just be too much for me especially at that price.
That’s fair enough I can understand that thinking. The biggest draw for the 500mm f5.6 will be the weight saving of 2.3kg over the older Nikon version or 1.5kg over the latest version.

Amazon have had the Canon mount a couple of times at just over 4k in the last few months and both times I have had to stop myself ordering one.

Until I know for sure that third party lenses are going to play nicely with the new mirrorless bodies I am staying away. Have a look on CDPF, they have a thread with photos.

Hi

I borrowed the sigma a few weeks ago for 7 days. Shot it on my D500

I could not find a fault. Coming from a 200-500 it was a reverlstion. Super fast to focus (once tweaked with the doc), sharp and for me easier enough to handhold. My keeper rate jumped up and resolution in low light was far superior.

Great lens.

Rob

Last edited:
The big Canon and Nikon primes hold their value well...

I must admit that is something that worries me the resale value, I realise it would be many years down the road however nice to know the nikon will probably keep value better

Last edited:
Hi

I borrowed the sigma a few weeks ago for 7 days. Shot it on my D500

I could not find a fault. Coming from a 200-500 it was a reverlstion. Super fast to focus (once tweaked with the doc), sharp and for me easier enough to handhold. My keeper rate jumped up and resolution in low light was far superior.

Great lens.

Rob

Rob thanks for that :) could I ask what it is you tweaked on the dock to improve af? I to have a d500 and a d750 so good to know you tried it on the 500 and was impressed.

There are 3 focus modes you can set in the doc. One is faster than the standard. Sigma say it is slightly less accurate hence not being the default. I programmed two buttons to each and found no lack of accuracy but good speed improvement.

I have also chatted with another user of the Sigma at length and he loves his, on his D750 :)

Rob

Back