Sigma 50mm/1.4 Art is here !

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
I haven't been excited about a new lens in quite a while. Direct from B&H, it's probably one of the first ones in the country.

faVDTy4.jpg

Compare to old Canon 1.4

7tTMelG.jpg

Meet the family !

nnhQiFx.jpg

In Disguise

AhQYfwc.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Raymond. What a beast next to the Canon 1.4!

Let us know how you get on.

Jeff.

That looks a lovely piece of glass there.

woah thats huge :eek:, also looks like the canon gear is ganging up on your sigma :eek:

Wow, how can you tell? :thinking:

By reading reviews and comments by other users.

Quote:

If you want top notch image quality in a 50mm prime, the Sigma is the right way to go. While it isn't the affordable compact pal that the $400 Canon 50mm f/1.4 is, it will compete with the very best 50mm primes out there. Don't buy the ridiculous $4000 Zeiss Otus lens (not that anyone really can anyways). The Sigma is nearly as good, and will make a permanent dent in your gear back for a very reasonable $950.

It looks big ... tall, do you think it has a similar optical design to them there tall Otus lenses by Zeiss?

its probably insane and otus beating on a sd1 sigma camera, as you can't get a otus on a sigma mount, maybe d800 and otus might be better

Very nice indeed and what a difference in size over the Canon 50mm

Did it require any adjustment it have sigma sort with it's back focusing issues?

I've got a 35 on its way.

As much as I would love the 50 I'm wondering if it's worth the step up from the canon 50 f/1.4?

Did it require any adjustment it have sigma sort with it's back focusing issues?

I've got a 35 on its way.

As much as I would love the 50 I'm wondering if it's worth the step up from the canon 50 f/1.4?

All lenses require adjustments in some way. Unless you strike it lucky.

I had to dial in -9 in 1 body and -14 in another.

I got the dock, and could make it 0 on one body but I would still need to dial in -5 on the other...so i didn't bother using the dock at all. No 2 bodies is the same, so if a lens is perfect on one body, it is not necessarily perfect on another. a slight MA these days is nothing to be feared, it's just part and parcel of owning a DSLR.

YskBaLl.jpg

3K13ASJ.jpg

Last edited:
Shot a wedding with it last weekend, lovely piece of glass :) It has all the qualities that I associate with Canon's L-Glass with one of the least CA performer out there.

jwLsJ6W.jpg

OrM8Lxt.jpg

I picked up a nikon version today. I'm only posting posting to directly answer crazyp's question. Answer = slow. Not terribly, but slower than any of my other lenses. Not that it bothers me, in all other aspects it appears to be excellent (y)

Back