Sigma 60 2.8 vs Sony 50 1.8

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

So I am looking into buying another prime lens for my Sony A6000 (actually I haven't got it yet but soon :)) I had the A5000 and got the Sigma 19mm which I still have and like a lot. I need a relatively inexpensive prime lens for portraits now. Which do you think is more suitable for portaits? Are native lenses generally better? They are exactly the same price in the local camera shop.
As an aside I have a lot of pics on the D7000 with the Nikon 50 1.8 so maybe it is time to change. Is 60 so much different? Thoughts please :)

Thanks

J

Last edited:
I'd have thought the faster aperture of the 50mm would lend itself better as a general portrait lens.

I have the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN and the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 DN. An awesome combo, I did have the Sony 50mm f/1.8 but I sold it when I got the Sigma :) They were £130.00 each when I bought them from Digitalrev. They are £149.00 each now, but still dirt cheap for what they are.

i prefer 60mm length on crop by a long way, and you can get a old classic 50mm very cheap and use with a adapter anyways

so i vote sigma :)

Ok the Sony is a very sharp lens

The sigma is sharper in the extreme corners wide open than the Sony ever gets.

Sigma =90mm full frame equivalent focal length which is a more pleasing portrait length.

Ok the Sony is a very sharp lens

The sigma is sharper in the extreme corners wide open than the Sony ever gets.

Sigma =90mm full frame equivalent focal length which is a more pleasing portrait length.

The Sony is 1.8 and the Sigma is 2.8. I like nice bokeh so I am hesitating. Maybe the extra 10mm in the Sigma compensates for this to some extent?

yep
tbh 50mm on crop is meh imo, buy the 60mm, and buy a 50mm 1.8 manual lens in pb or m42 or whatever

Bumping this because I have the same dilemma!

Can't decide between the two - I have the 16-55 kit lens and a manual Minolta 50mm 1,8 lens so the Sigma I think would be the obvious choice.

Any confirmation that I'm thinking along the right lines would be much appreciated :)

Get the Sony. It's faster and has OSS which nobody has bothered mentioning and that's a big feature.

I have had both, the Sony 50 f1.8 wins overall but costs more. Both are great lens for portraits so you will be happy with either.

The OP stated that they're both available for the same price. If price is taken out then as above, the Sony offers faster aperture and built in OSS. There isn't a huge difference in their focal lengths.

If you are going to be shooting in low light then the 1.8 plus OSS of the sony will be well worth the extra cash. Also I'm pretty sure the Sigma will not be able to take advantage of the phase detect autofocus points on the A6000 hybrid system. Why own a camera that leads the pack in AF tracking Due to it's 179 Phase detect points and partner it with glass that can only do contrast detect AF ?

Thanks all. It seems that the consensus is the faster speed and OSS trump the longer focal reach then.

And keep an eye on the prices. I bought a Sony 50mm this week from Amazon for £175 - with the current £30 cash back deal it makes it a more reasonable proposition - £145 all in.
So, I think it's a good deal for an extra £15 (over the Sigma) to have the one stop(and a bit) advantage and the OIS.

Last edited:
And keep an eye on the prices. I bought a Sony 50mm this week from Amazon for £175 - with the current £30 cash back deal it makes it a more reasonable proposition - £145 all in.
So, I think it's a good deal for an extra £15 (over the Sigma) to have the one stop(and a bit) advantage and the OIS.

Ditto! Just waiting for the cashback to arrive.

Did this yesterday, came up on camerapricebuster at £174.44 from amazon uk the ad had the cashback banner below the price.

My 50mm came yesterday this lens is very good for the money, just waiting on my cashback now. To be fair it's good for £175 but for £145 it's even better.

Back