Sigma 60-600 Sport Fault

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm wondering if anyone on the forums here has had issues with their Sigma 60-600 Sport lens.

I've had mine just under a year and used it extensively and very happy with it's performance in general - up till Saturday during a match.
The lens just stopped focussing and the camera wouldn't take a picture. I isolated it to be definitely the lens and as it's just still under warranty it's already on it's way to Sigma for repairs.

Searching the internet I see it may be a known issue with the firmware that can cause this and Sigma maybe able to update it with a fix. Although this advisory came out before I purchased my lens, it is in the range of affected serial numbers. https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/sigma-60-600mm-sport-and-70-200-sport-firmware-update-6-6-2019

I also mentioned on my fault report to the repair centre that the lens has a some play between the lens and camera and I see there are some minor marks on the collar mount, that may or may not be the cause. Part of the the weather sealing rubber ring around the collar also came out once and I managed to push it back in.

Anyone else have issues with their lens?

Last edited:
I haven't changed anything in the cameras but the Sigma advisory says it may be the firmware in the lens stopping it focussing - either way I'm glad it's under warranty.

@sk66 Do you have any play between the lens and the camera though?

I had to have my 120-300C firmware updated when I got the D850 because it wouldn't focus; but it's not anything that suddenly changes. If you have the dock you could check/update the firmware on the S lens yourself.
There's always some play with any lens; but no more than typical.

Last edited:
I had exactly the same problem with my 150 - 600mm (c) including the play between lens and body. Sigma replaced the lens. Never had a problem since

I presume that was under warranty @Wandering star ?
A new one would be nice but hopefully it will at least come back all in working order, with no play. Turn around is supposed to be 2-3 weeks but not sure how COVID may affect that.

I had mine for 2 years and 11 months , when it started to play up ,sent it in to sigma u.k who couldn't repair it so sent it back to Japan , 4 week turnaround and although the one sent back had the same reg number I'm pretty sure it was a brand new one .. with a further 6 months warranty .. I sold it on shortly after

and got the C which imho was just as good,

Oops Mine was a 150-600 sport

Last edited:
Seems like there will be a fast turn around from Sigma for this repair. The lens stopped working on Saturday, I shipped it Monday and it arrived at the repair centre on Tuesday. I've just received notification from DPD that my delivery from Sigma will be on Thursday. Hope it works and the fix is permanent.

Just to close the loop.
The lens arrived back this morning, The service report said that the mount was replaced and the curcuit board was repaired. On a quick test it seems be working as it should and the mount is far better with hardly any play at all. There's a warranty on the repairs for another 6 months. Pity it happended at all but kudus to Sigma for a fast turn-around, from failure to back in use in just 5 days.

Last edited:
ive had mine for 5 months and it has issues with auto focus ,it wont auto focus when using the shutter ,am waiting to hear back from the shop i bought it of,pretty disappointing as my serial number starts with 550 but having the same issues as the ones with auto focus issues

I have had my lens for maybe close to two years now. Had an issue with it not auto focusing maybe 6+ plus months later. Sent it in for repair and was told that they did a firmware update and it worked on their test body (not sure what that was). Sent back to me and it worked for a short time and then auto focus stopped working again. Have yet to send it back but hoping that it will get sorted for me properly.

Back