Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 v Canon 70/200 f/4 L

S

susie

I own the Sigma 70-200 ex macro lens and a friend has the cannon 70/200 f/4 L, which he maintains is the better lens, apart from the far superior apperture on the Sigma ;) I cannot think of any good arguments as to why my lens is better!! The only minor advantage of the Canon that I can see is that its a lot smaller and lighter than the Sigma :shrug:

Now I don't deny that he takes lovely pictures and knows a hell of a lot more than me, but I need assistance in proving that I am (of course) right, can anyone give me some help here please :D

Define "better"?

optically, they are very similar in resolution, Susie, but the Sigmas introduce a green / yellow hue that i don't like (I think you get used to the blue of the Canons)

He has a lightweight, you have a mid-weight

Yours lets in 100% more light!! therefore faster lens but also BRIGHTER viewfinder so focussing should be easier.

f/4 canon is very portable, 2/8 Sigma is quite chunky but comes with a free tripod ring :)

Thats should result in a Pyrrhic Victory if nothing else ;)

Define "better"?
Now thats the problem!!
He takes photographs which are in better light so does not need the 2.8, whereas I take pictures that can be in low light but I need a higher shutter speed hence I have the sigma. I know its different uses, but since mine could be set at f4 if I wanted to its got to be better!!

Its a sort of his L lens v mine and I want to win :D just a bit of banter on the telephone, but I need a good argument!

You can add a 1.4tc to give you extra range and it only drops your aperture to his meagre f4 :)

*slight bias caused by Sigma F2.8 beside me ;)

How about looking at the detailed reviews on FM?
FM review of Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APO MACRO HSM
FM review of Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

Cost... Canon ($597 vs $844 - over here, now, it's £410 vs £599)
Build quality rating... Canon (9.62 vs 7.64)
Price rating... Canon (9.32 vs 8.43)
Overall rating... Canon (9.5 vs 7.9)
Would recommend... Canon (94% vs 65%)

And for a small fee we won't mention this to your friend....
Nooooo!! Thats not what I need to see :LOL: luckily he is very non internet so he does not have access to that sort of info!

optically, they are very similar in resolution, Susie, but the Sigmas introduce a green / yellow hue that i don't like (I think you get used to the blue of the Canons)

He has a lightweight, you have a mid-weight

Yours lets in 100% more light!! therefore faster lens but also BRIGHTER viewfinder so focussing should be easier.

f/4 canon is very portable, 2/8 Sigma is quite chunky but comes with a free tripod ring :)

Thats should result in a Pyrrhic Victory if nothing else ;)
Thank you, any victory will do at the moment! I must admit the sigma is not the lightest - the tripod ring is a necessity on that.

Thank you, any victory will do at the moment! I must admit the sigma is not the lightest - the tripod ring is a necessity on that.

And if all else fails, you can hold your heavyweight sigma by the tripod ring and beat him to death with it. :D

And if all else fails, you can hold your heavyweight sigma by the tripod ring and beat him to death with it. :D

Good point, the L build quality just shades it too :)

You can add a 1.4tc to give you extra range and it only drops your aperture to his meagre f4 :)

*slight bias caused by Sigma F2.8 beside me ;)
Good to know you are on my side!! good argument as well, not one I would have thought of!
and then take his lens to use when I want something lighter!
Good point, the L build quality just shades it too :)

Thinking about a different sort of shade, I'm sure the Canon lens hood was black, and therefore does not match the lens :LOL:

Back