Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 or a Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6

Name
Mitch
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I've decided that I'm going to get a new lens and i've pretty much narrowed it down to a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 or a Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6.

My budget is about £400 and I tend to shoot everything from portrait to landscape. I'm going to Goodwood Motorshow this week and Silverstone next week, I know i'll be struggling for reach with the 200mm but could i make up for that with a teleconverter or would I lose too much quality? :thinking:

Any advice would be brilliant.

Last edited:
Hi whats your body?
I got a 2x from ebay that is a jessops check sig. snagged for £40.
works with my 1d and 70-200f4L

I've got a Canon 550D.

What kind of quality are you experiencing at the 400mm end with the 2x attatched?

MSmith said:
I've got a Canon 550D.

What kind of quality are you experiencing at the 400mm end with the 2x attatched?

I think the OP is asking about quality of attached to a 200mm.
I would be interested in the answer to this too.

I have the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens as well and as others have said its a cracking lens.

Realspeed

I did mean with the 2x attached to the 200mm, but that will be able to reach out to 400mm wont it?

Like I said, i'm going to silverstone in 2 weeks and from everything i've read 400mm seems to be the minimum requirement.

Cheers for all the responses, i'm pretty convinced now that the 70-200 f2.8 is an amazing lens, just want to know what its like with a 2x now.

i wouldnt use it with a 2x personally, too much degridation in AF speed and quality for my liking.

I've got a x2 Kenko and from everything I've read and what I have experienced with this particular extender, the x2 soften the image a lot. The 1.4 extenders apparently don't suffer from this (don't know if people mean at all, or as much) but I've never used one so couldn't say.

I'd go for the 70-200 with an extender personally.

Isn't it recommended that you use the Sigma x2 convertor for the 70-200 2.8? Supposed to keep the high IQ and focusing speed.

I think the 70-200mm has won it. Might just see if i can pick up a cheapish Jessops or the like TC just to give me that extra reach at Silverstone.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Hi
This was taken with the 70-200 f4l, 2x, shutter priorty 800 (f/13) iso 400
I just snapped this to show you how good it is apart from the usual sharpening that I apply it basically SOOC.
Pigeon-quick-snap.jpg

Last edited:
http://i.imgur.com/I9Y77.jpg

Just snapped this to show you what the Sigma 70-200 DG APO HSM is like. 100% crop taken @ 200mm f4, this isn't the sharpest version but it's still pretty good. AF is quick, quiet and generally accurate.

The only downside is that they're heavy and you may want more reach for wildlife, which is where the 120-400 might be useful (but they're not brilliant).

Back