Sigma 70-200mm variants

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a possible opportunity to buy a Sigma 70-200mm ex dg hsm II lens which I believe is one of the "macro" versions (whether that's correct or just marketing speak is another matter) for a good price. This lens and other examples of the macro versions do seem to be priced significantly cheaper than the non-macro variants. Can anyone tell me if that's just because they're older versions with less sophisticated elements etc. or are there some other technical factors or limitations, e.g. do they do that thing a lot of macros (like my Sigma 105mm) do where they stop down the aperture as you focus on something very close?

I have no need for a macro lens in that 70-200mm range as I don't do a lot of macro stuff and I have the 105mm anyway (which I mostly just use as a 105mm prime) but I am in the market for a 70-200mm f/2.8 so if that's still a decent lens to use for non-macro stuff then it could be a good buy.

I have a possible opportunity to buy a Sigma 70-200mm ex dg hsm II lens which I believe is one of the "macro" versions (whether that's correct or just marketing speak is another matter) for a good price. This lens and other examples of the macro versions do seem to be priced significantly cheaper than the non-macro variants. Can anyone tell me if that's just because they're older versions with less sophisticated elements etc. or are there some other technical factors or limitations, e.g. do they do that thing a lot of macros (like my Sigma 105mm) do where they stop down the aperture as you focus on something very close?

I have no need for a macro lens in that 70-200mm range as I don't do a lot of macro stuff and I have the 105mm anyway (which I mostly just use as a 105mm prime) but I am in the market for a 70-200mm f/2.8 so if that's still a decent lens to use for non-macro stuff then it could be a good buy.

The HSMII version was the last version before the OS version came out. The OS version is marginally better but actually the HSM II version is a very decent lens. Ignore the macro stuff, it's really just that the lens can focus to a reasonably close focus distance not true macro 1:1 stuff. And it won't stop down at minimum focus distance, no.

Worth pointing out that Sigma lenses do suffer from sample variation, if you can test it first.

Also, reports of older Sigma's have compatibly issues with newer/newest Canon bodies. That in some cases (all cases???) can be overcome by the lens being re-chipped or firmware updated.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I hadn't appreciated that the macro version (certainly the one in question) didn't have OS.

Re. Sigma compatibility, I already had my 105mm macro when I got my D610, when I upgraded the firmware on the camera I found the autofocus on the Sigma stopped working so I downgraded it again and all was well. The chap selling that lens also has a D610 so I know I should be fine if I go for it, at least with my current body.

I have a sigma 70-200 f2.8 Macro. Again, ignore the macro part but its a massive improvement over kit lens style zooms. Focuses quickly and mine seems pretty solid.
I did have to send it off to Sigma to have it rechipped as I have a newer body.

Back