Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got experience with this lens?
I'm looking at purchasing it for transport, sport, aviation (basically action)..?
Also, anyone had experience with usage of the lens with both 1.4x or 2x converters..?

Chris.

This is not my quote,but from a guy,s review who bought this lens.:)(y)

Without doubt my favourite lens: it delivers consistent, top-quality results every time.

I do quite a lot of concert photography, and found that I need a long 2.8f zoom lens. I looked at the Canon L-series 70-200/2.8 but couldn't really justify the price. Then I tried this gorgeous Sigma lens and I was immediately sold!

It's fast, produces beautifully sharp images even at it's widest, and is built like a tank. The equal of the finest Canon glass, and a fraction of the price.

I highly recommend this lens.

I have this lens but the 3rd revision - get a lot of stunning shots and very happy with it as i couldn't justfy spedning too much for the IS version.

Your Welcome.:):D

@PS2user - Yeah, me too, I'm only 15 and it seems the best lens for my limited £400-450 budget - I'm buying second hand if I do.

@Mike.P Those are brilliant thanks, It's always easy when you see example shots as well, superb shots they are too.

A big thank you too everyone so far.

Chris.

I love mine. I know the Nikon version would be better but I'm so happy with my sigma I would rather spend my money on other things rather than upgrading.

How ever I think your daft for wanting to use a teleconverter with it. Just crop. If you really want the range I would consider the Sigma 100-300mm F4

Here are some trusted reviews

Sigma 70-200mm
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikk...ex-hsm-apo-dg-macro-nikon-review--test-report

Sigma 100-300 f4

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/369-sigma-af-100-300mm-f4-nikon

Stuart

The first ones are the best (imo).

Mine is the MKI APO EX (non DG, non macro, non HSM).

I had the DG HSM, was that the Mk II? Anyway, loved it :)

I think I've mistaken you Stu, I need it for Football, Racing etc; with f2.8 when the weather is not at it's prime and if it's at night.

The sole need for a converter comes for airshows and when I'm at airbases.

Thanks guys, you're all helping me a lot.

Chris.

I think they started to fall apart when Sigma added the "macro" part. Even then they are pretty good but not as sharp wide open as the non macro.

That seemed to be the general consensus, although matty had/has a macro version which has produced some cracking stuff.

Just remebered as well that the coating on mine began to peel a bit. Didn't really bother me, and it didn't affect performance, but it seemed to be a common "problem" at the time.

non-macro min focus is 1.8m - very limiting for portraiture. X
Latest macro one (the one I could play with for a few minutes) is very sharp at 70mm and useless at 200mm even at f/5.6. Lens tests sites seem to agree more or less. X
Maybe if you test one well before purchasing it maybe worth a go for the price.

An interesting point, one of which I'd be interested to hear you expand.

Sigma started to produce rubbish with the introduction of the Macro versions, ive owned 5 of the 6 versions and by far the best in terms of contrast, colour rendition, bokeh and most importantly for me sharpness were the first 2 versions.

Mk1 EX APO and MK 2 EX APO HSM

After that came the DG and then later the Macros

Get it with a 1.4 TC and you will be totally delighted with it.
If you can get the Macro MKII all the better as the MKI did suffer a bit from front focus issues but not as much as the non macro version.
If buying used watch the coating around the tripod mount as it tends to peel easily.
The older APO non DG suffers from a yellow cast on DSLR's but has a better build quality

After reading reviews I bought an early version (non macro) which had dust in the lens, but was going for about £265 if I remember correctly. I sent it to Sigma for a service which cost me £122. It was like getting a new lens, I love it and use it with and without the 1.4x converter.

Tbh i say rubbish to the *non macro is sharper*, i have the DG Macro HSM and its stunning at 200mm at 2.8 if your really worried about it get a shot of a chimney stack at 2.8 at 70 and 200mm, soon shows any problems with softness

The older APO non DG suffers from a yellow cast on DSLR's but has a better build quality

I've got a Canon so if I'm on auto white balance the cast could be any colour it feels like at the time. :LOL:

I've had mine since Christmas, loving it each and everytime I use it, awaiting my 1.4x TC now for that extra bit of reach :)

My best shot with the 70-200mm

main.php

I spoke to Sigma this week and they say by the end of the week they will have a pirice and shipping dates on the new 70-200 f2.8 with OS.

Phil

I spoke to Sigma this week and they say by the end of the week they will have a pirice and shipping dates on the new 70-200 f2.8 with OS.

Phil

Noooooooo! Must resist, must resist :D

Back