Sigma DG

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Ive seen two lenses I like. One is a 70-200mm f2.8 sigma EX DG HSM and the other one isn't DG.

The non DG version is £70/£80 cheaper

What does DG mean?

Thanks

The DG designation applied to most newer Sigma lenses indicates that the lens is especially suited for use with digital SLR cameras. The DG lenses feature improved (more even) light distribution from image center to edge, and incorporate the latest multi-layer lens coatings to avoid reflections of the sensors of digital cameras. This is important in digital photography, but is also useful in 35mm photography, especially when slide film is used. Lenses designated as DC are designed exclusively for use with digital cameras having APS-C size image sensors. They feature smaller image circles and often feature shorter focal lengths (e.g. 10-20mm DC, 17-70mm DC, 18-50mm DC, 18-200mm DC, etc.). The shorter focal lengths are desirable, because most digital SLR cameras have image sensors whose dimensions are considerably smaller than a 35mm negative (usually by a factor of 1.3X to 2.0X), making the lens’ angle of view equivalent to that of a longer lens on a 35mm cameras.

from Sigma web

DG goes on crop & full frame ..

DC is crop ONLY not full frame ..
Get the HSM II if you can the HSM is a little slow & the AF hunts quite a bit ..
I had both now got the 150-500 os version which is great bit of kit ...

they will soon m8 just sold them mine on Monday lol

Might go for the 70-200 f2.8 sigma from MPb for £350 then buy the x2 tele converter at a later date. I know ile be at f5 but it will be 400mm then too and I have the choice of 70-200mm at f2.8 for other subjects :D

I thought it was how far the lens goes inside the camera ..
The DC version goes in too far & the mirror can hit it !
I may be well of the mark but that's how I understood it ??

yes exactly.

non-DG and DC are 2 different things however. the former will still work on FF.

essentially in this instance we are discussing 3 types of sigma lens:

EX DG - FF and crop
EX - FF and crop (this is the non-DG i refer to)
EX DC - crop only

Last edited:
i have a 70/300 sigma DG does this mean it will fit FF ? where does the APO come into it all then.. just curious.......

well that's good news i am going FF soon i was going to sell that lens, might just hold on to it ,just for the rather decent macro it has........

Back