SIGMA L-mount fp

That's tiny! Looks like you'd need to add extra grips to give it some balance with full frame lenses though. The second photo shows a bolt-on hotshoe too. They've also gone for Contrast detect AF so it will be interesting to see what the performance is like.

Last edited:
That's tiny! Looks like you'd need to add extra grips to give it some balance with full frame lenses though. The second photo shows a bolt-on hotshoe too. They've also gone for Contrast detect AF so it will be interesting to see what the performance is like.

Hi, I would use this mini-body with Leica M-mount lenses to have a real pocket camera.

Of course, no one can possibly know at present, how the fp will work with Leica M-mount glass ... ---

For me, I do not see L-mount glass.

I've just found an image of the slide showing the actual size;

sigma-fp-3.jpg

Having compared it to my RX1, it's actually about the same size apart from the thickness (discounting the fixed lens on the RX1).

RX1 - 115mm wide, 72mm high (without EVF) and 27mm deep.

The biggest difference I can see, and one that might put people off, is the lack of many external controls. It looks similar to the earlier Canon EOS M bodies and appears to only have the top dial around the shutter button and the rear dial. As a camera for a rig it may work very well though.

I've just found an image of the slide showing the actual size;

Having compared it to my RX1, it's actually about the same size apart from the thickness (discounting the fixed lens on the RX1).

RX1 - 115mm wide, 72mm high (without EVF) and 27mm deep.

The biggest difference I can see, and one that might put people off, is the lack of many external controls. It looks similar to the earlier Canon EOS M bodies and appears to only have the top dial around the shutter button and the rear dial. As a camera for a rig it may work very well though.

Hi, this is one thing. There appears to be no flash mount shoe one might use to attach an external viewfinder. But it is early days ...

I shall keep an eye on this mini camera and see how it handles and performs. For now, it looks promising ... ---

Hi, this is one thing. There appears to be no flash mount shoe one might use to attach an external viewfinder. But it is early days ...

I shall keep an eye on this mini camera and see how it handles and performs. For now, it looks promising ... ---

There's a screw on attachment on the side of the camera to add a hotshoe (like an Olympus XA flash), along with a rear-mounted view finder surround which goes over the screen;

sigma-fp-akcesoria.jpg

Hi, I would not need a hotshoe (with power) to attach an external optical viewfinder. But there will be other suppliers offering this, I expect ... ---

Hi, the ROLLEI 35s are on the right, the silver one on top, and the black 35TE (my toys in 1988):

tp-NO-0589021-2.jpg

At this time, until the mid 90s, there were several compact 24x36 cameras from Voigtländer, MINOX, Balda and others.

I do not like the present trend of mirrorless cameras getting bigger (Panasonic, Nikon, Canon), becoming as big as DSLRs, just without a mirror.

I went into mirrorless with the Olympus Pen EP-1, because I like compactness.

Maybe, the new Sigma will establish a new trend others will follow, of delivering maximally compact, powerful cameras.

This makes the Sigma fp interesting for me ... ---

Hi, a new review :

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/11/11/sigma-fp-camera-review-tried-one-then-bought-it-heres-why/

Some see S.Huff as a marketing-hype-wave surfer, but one can often find some useful information in his outpourings ...

One has to decide, of course, how one values compactness vs. lack of functionality, lack of IS or EVF for example.

Remembering Huff's remarks on using Leica M mount lenses on the SONY A7, I see his attempts with the Sigma fp with extreme caution.

He stays in the comfort zone of lenses from 35mm on here, however. - Really interesting for me is the behavior of 12 or 15mm lenses, too.

But these are only my thoughts, based on my experiences and preferences ... ---

Back