Sigma Lens 120-300 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Edit My Images
No
anyone using this lens want to know how you rate it ?
ever use a t/c on it and what one how does it effect the image quality ?

cheers

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
I think it is a cracking lens, use mine with both 1.4 a 2X TC's sadly I haven't had much time to go out shooting birds over the last couple of years so wondering about selling mine so someone else can enjoy it.

Edit My Images
No
I had this lens about 12 years ago.
It‘s amazing that it’s still unique in what it offers; being a long F2.8 zoom.

I recall image quality being superb and it still working well with a 2x convertor. It‘s fairly heavy and I used it with a monopod.

A couple of photos at 300mm F2.8 using a Canon 20D (2008)

Edit My Images
Yes
Here's my take on the lens....I owned a Sport version for about 2 years of extensive use. The lens itself is great and holds up well quality wise. It's definitely on the heavy side and even though I handheld the lens all the time it's tiresome and takes a toll by the end of the day. I had no hesitations using the lens wide open at 300mm, it's very sharp.
TCs...they are a different story I'd say. The 1.4x is still solid even wide open, but would prefer a stop down to f4.5 at least, especially at longer distances. The 2x I would say is border line usable. Up close distances are fine, but anything more than say 20m away, you lose fine details...I'm talking from a wildlife/birding perspective here.

A few photos with and without a TC here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157678285821854

My conclusion would be this: If you plan to use the lens by itself or maybe sometimes with a 1.4x TC, then go ahead, it's a great lens worth the money, but if your main use would be with a 2x TC, you're better off buying one of the 150-600 zooms.

OP
OP
holty
Edit My Images
No
thanks for the above replys
looks like i will buy a 1.4 tc
do i buy nikon or the sigma version ?

Edit My Images
Yes
thanks for the above replys
looks like i will buy a 1.4 tc
do i buy nikon or the sigma version ?
Definitely the Sigma, the Nikon won't even attach as far as I know.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I had this lens about 12 years ago.
That's impressive seeing as it only started production 8 years ago.

whats the lens hood number for the os version as the one i bought does not have a hood

You'll need to phone Sigma UK direct and be quick as they've a limited supply. It'll cost around £25-30.

They are, however, about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Whomever designed a thin, lightweight, plastic lens hood to go on a two ton megazoom needs their head examining. Or at least the sack.
THe reason why your lens didn't come with one is because the original almost certainly broke.