Sigma Lens for Photographing Wildlife

Name
Natasha Balletta
Edit My Images
No
Hi all Thinking about getting the 50-500mm Sigma F4-6.3 EX lens to get closer to the small birds in the garden (the blue tits, long tailed tits, chaffinches, greenfinches etc),is it a good lens for birds in the garden? I use a Canon 400D camera. Any advice, much appreciated, thanks :)

If you want super sharp images then the answer is no. With lenses carrying that kind of range, there will always be compromises with image quality and I'd imagine you'll get the best results with the lens stopped down to something like f/8.

Having said that, it will be versatile in that lens changeovers will be very limited and unnecessary but you'll need to bear its limitations in mind.

You'll also need fairly decent light to get a clean enough image with a sufficiently fast shutter speed.

Echo the above. The 50-500mm will work, but you will compromise quality for range. Plus working at F8 in the depths of UK winter is not fun. Ever.
For birds in the garden 400mm is adequate, and you can get by with 300mm + 1.4
I currently use my Sigma 100-300mm F4 with a 1.4x fitted and cen get plenty close enough - even closer when I rig up a hide.

I'd have a serious look at a 300/4 IS L or a 400/5.6 L before jumping in.
The 400/5.6 will give you better quality on brighter days but the IS on 300/4 (with a 1.4x T/C) will give you the edge on duller days when your shutter speed needs to be a bit slower.

Bob

I can agree with the above ive got a 50-500 and it is a good alround lens but not stunning. I also found that it was best at around f8 making it not very handy except on the nice days, i suppose it depends on your budget and how steady your hand are :D

P.S since i won my wife over and got the 600Lf4 the 50-500 hasn't been out its bag

Echo the above. The 50-500mm will work, but you will compromise quality for range. Plus working at F8 in the depths of UK winter is not fun. Ever.
For birds in the garden 400mm is adequate, and you can get by with 300mm + 1.4
I currently use my Sigma 100-300mm F4 with a 1.4x fitted and cen get plenty close enough - even closer when I rig up a hide.

Hi Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, is that the Canon 400mm IS lens? Sorry for asking a stupid question lol. Which lens do you think is better for image quality and lighting? :)

Back