Sigma Lens Nikon AF 70-300

Edit My Images
Yes
Have recently bought a Nikon D40 and looking to get another lens. Have seen this one:

Sigma Lens for Nikon AF - 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro

for £89.00. Does anyone know anything about this lens and would it be a good buy? Any help would be appreciated as this is my first SLR camera!

The lens is a telephoto/zoom lens capable of doing macro.

hi alison lee.
firstly sigma do an apo version of that lens which is a lot better for not much more money.

secondly and heres the big but that lens on a d40 will NOT autofocus as the lens has no focus motor in it and the d40 has no focus motor in camera body.

to retain autofocus on a d40 you need a lens with a focus motor in lens, nikon af-s or sigma hsm.

Have recently bought a Nikon D40 and looking to get another lens. Have seen this one:

Sigma Lens for Nikon AF - 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro

for £89.00. Does anyone know anything about this lens and would it be a good buy? Any help would be appreciated as this is my first SLR camera!

The lens is a telephoto/zoom lens capable of doing macro.

First of all this is the cheaper version of this lens - the more expensive one is known as the APO which I believe relates to the quality of the glass (?) - Secondly neither will autofocus with your D40 - You need a Nikon lens which is AF-S (the lens has its own motor) or the equivalent in other lens makers like Sigmas where it is called HSM - the 70-300VR that sheep mentioned is AF-S but over £300 - I will have a look around & let you know what the cheapest 70-300mm zoom lens is with AF-S or equivalent ... Paul ;)

• AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G which is £119 at camerapricebuster.co.uk
  • Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED VR DX Lens £172.99 at onestop-digital.com
If you want to go to 300mm the Nikon VR is over £300 but seems to be the only option without spending a few hundred more
Its cheaper (& better) to get a macro lens or consider a close up filter like the Canon 500D if you only occasionally want to do macro
HTH - Paul ;)

Ok, I have that exact lens for my nikons, and for the money it is a good lens yes, APO is better for not much more money]. You will get some softness at 300mm end, but nothing you can't deal with using a bit a sharpening in post processing. Its a bit noisy [mechanically] on the auto focus, but again, not unliveable with. The Macro bit is limited but DOES work [Pete :p] though dont expect the kind of stuff you get from dedicated 1:1 macros, but its better than no macro at all. You just have to remember to stand further away from the subject, anything less that about 1.4 metres, and forget, too close.

HOWEVER, as others have already said, it won't autofocus on that body so for full advantage you need to spend quite a bit more....or live with manual focus, which isn't always easy for the kind of stuff you would probably want a 70-300mm lens for.

Wow, thanks for all that everyone, will look into it abit more and try some of the sites recommended. Let you know what I get!!

Back