Sigma lens price increase? 22%?

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I had an email this week from Park Cameras claiming that as of March 1st Sigma lenses were due to go up in price by 22%? Is this correct? Does anyone know?

Its a pretty big price increase I thought, even taking into account brexit, rubbish exchange rates etc etc.....

bloated-pig-approaching-trough1.jpg

They're all trying it on now they have an excuse.

A lot is down to exchange rates and general repricing. I've seen elsewhere it described as between 9 and 28% increase (iirc).

As I recal quite a few lenses were underpriced compared with USA - as of now the £1 = $1 exchange rate is actually about right when you take VAT into account.

There's also been a bunch of Sigma lenses officially discontinued (replaced).

Last edited:
The pound has been sliding against the Yen since 2015. It crashed at the end of 2016 Q2 and saw a steady recovery during Q4, but it's still about 20% down on this time last year and 30% down on two years ago. The trend line isn't showing any improvement, it suggests a continued slide.

At the same time Sigma have been subtly repositioning themselves in the market, they're not just the cheap alternative to OEM lenses but are increasingly producing lenses desirable in their own right.

No such thing as an "excuse" the Japanese yen is stronger against the dollar so dollar prices go up. The Dollar is stronger than it was 8 months ago against the pound. All in all there's an absolutely perfect reason to see a price increase of circa 24% if you go against the rates on day before brexit vs rates of today.

Maths is your friend, no need to go hate on him for being right.

The only excuse here is that none of us can see the future so the blaming greed from such corporations gets thrown around.

Perhaps the only excuses here lie with those that aren't in touch with the financial markets and the bitterness of not getting a product at price X leads them to hate others when the problem lies with themselves?

I know it Doesn't take the sting out of it all but that's life and we have to live with it or just not buy the goods as that's the only way your likely to see price reductions by region, i.e. After a length of time when sales and profits fall enough to drive a buy back of the market.

It's nice if the shops to let you know about price increases though as they certainly don't have to.

Its not just camera equipment. Ive been informed at work that most of the companies within the heating and plumbing trade are putting there prices up from 3% to 12%.

I didn't mention any excuses. I fully understand its to do with exchange rates etc. But its still a big jump in price however you want to see it, or whatever you want to blame it on. Prob a good idea to purchase of a lens now if any of us are looking at one i guess. I don't thing that even offers at say the photoshow, would negate such an increase personally.

I didn't mention any excuses.
No, it was the first comment after your post that was the predictably dickish comment about excuses.

I've always seen Sigma as in-between Tamron and OEM but after recently getting the Sigma 30mm 1.4 I have to agree with Alastair that I'm very impressed with their quality. It's also lovely to see "Made in Japan" on the lens. That alone is worth an extra 22%!

I've always seen Sigma as in-between Tamron and OEM but after recently getting the Sigma 30mm 1.4 I have to agree with Alastair that I'm very impressed with their quality.
Tamron have some impressive lenses too. The 85mm, 35mm and 45mm are unique in offering VC and if you don't need the f1.4 they hold up well.

Their 90mm macro has always impressed too.

Last edited:
yep, not great news... some shops are slower than others at reflecting the increase however. I managed to order an 18-35 from Currys on Friday, however virtually all other shops with stock are showing 20% higher.

Due to different reasons, I have bought new, three different Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lenses over the last year and the price has actually gone down, from £739 > £699..... Seems strange as the reduction has been since Christmas, unless there's a new lens in the pipeline?

Tamron have some impressive lenses too. The 85mm, 35mm and 45mm are unique in offering VC and if you don't need the f1.4 they hold up well.

Their 90mm macro has always impressed too.

Tamron never really appealed to me when I was using DSLRs, but that was some time ago so things may well have changed. I did love Tokina though but they were rather expensive. Sony lenses seemed to have gone up also, especially the 70-200 f4 which I've now given up on .

Back