Sigma Lens Views

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
hi
can anyone recommend or knock the
sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Macro only for nikon?
thanks guys

It's a very good lens, but unless you desperately need constant f2.8, I'd recommend the cheaper 17-70mm f2.8-4 macro as it's just as good, covers a slightly better range, and is cheaper - hurrah!

Cheers,
James

hi
can anyone recommend or knock the
sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Macro only for nikon?
thanks guys

Looking at one of these myself for the newly acquired D200. Sold the kit lenses with the D50 and have an 18-200VR but want something a bit faster and with less distortion in the 18-55 range.

Seems to get fairly decent reviews - one of my recent magazines rates it second after the Nikon 17-55 (which is about thrice the price :eek:)

This lens came out top in test run by 'Digital photo' (November issue)

digipix

It's a very good lens, but unless you desperately need constant f2.8, I'd recommend the cheaper 17-70mm f2.8-4 macro as it's just as good, covers a slightly better range, and is cheaper - hurrah!

Cheers,
James

Cheers James took your advice and went for the 17-70
and so far im well happy

Aim also looking at buying one this week! where did you purchase from?

I notice warehouse express are selling for £219.99 and the macro HSM for £249.99.

digipix

I almost bought the Canon fit version of this lens after reading very positive reviews, however, on balance the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II seemed to get better write-ups so I went for that in the end. It's turned out to be an excellent lens (although I did send the first one back due to sizeable bit of dirt / plastic being visible inside the lens). The resolution is truly fantastic (apparently slightly better than the Sigma, particuarly in the centre of the shot). However, I will say that it is a particularly noisy lens, although that's never really bothered me.

As a side note I've recently bought a Sigma 70-300 APO lens (cost around £155.00). Again, a very good lens which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, although it isn't particularly fast.

Back