Sigma Lens

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking at a lenses for genereal use, mainly outdoor, wildlife as well if I can be quiet enough not to scare them away! I saw these on Amazon Sigma 28-70mm & 70-300mm AF Lens Set Digital SLR Camera's. What do you think, are they a good make, I'm not a pro so have not got a fortune to spend, but like some value for my money.

TIA

I have 6 lenses and 5 are Nikon just because they were better than the alternatives at that range but I don't have anything against alternative brands. I do have one Sigma lens which is a real beauty and is the 20mm f1.8

The way I look at it often the alternative brands produce lenses costing 60% of the Nikon alternative and you get 90% of the IQ. If you need or want the extra 10% then you have to pay for it but in some cases the alternatives are even cheaper OR even better. If you have specific lenses or ranges post a question specifically about that.

I have two Sigmas - one an older 28-70 from my old EOS film camera and a newer 17-70 for my EOS digital.

Both perform fantastically and are great value when compared to the Canon lenses. The only thing you need to watch out for is hit and miss build quality. If you get a good one, they are very good.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the two specific lenses you mentioned but you may want to look here Photozone Tests - they have a long list of tests on lenses (y)

I'm using a Canon 400D, e-bay special, but seems okay, thanks for the info.

I have a Sigma 150-500mm zoom and it's built like a tank. I've not seen the 70-300mm Sigma, though.

Thanks, I've invested my ill gotten gains, thanks for the advice.

Id like to know what you think of these lenses when you get them.
Beeen eyeing up the same set for a few weeks, just got this nagging feeling that as they are cheap (ish) they're not going to be great.

Back