Sigma Or Tamron Lenses

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Basically i am looking to get a new lens 18-50mm 2.8 lens
BUT i don't know if i should go with tamron or sigma. The lens will be used on my D200 however i may decide to use it on my D50. Whats the better lens.

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 Macro HSM Lens - Nikon Fit
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1020682

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II LD ASP IF Lens - Nikon Fit
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1013811

It will mostly be used as an upgrade to this lens - Nikon 18-55mm II

My old man has the Sigma for his 40D and loves it.

I looked at these two in detail and went for the Tamron, every review I read rated it much better than the Sigma. Not been disappointed, it's brilliant.

The Sigma is only really a 19-46mm and its not as sharp as the Tamron wide open.

The HSM version focuses faster than the motorised version of the Tamron.

The non-motorised version of the Tamron focuses faster than the Sigma.

I have the Sigma after buying here for a decent price and i'm more than happy with it. However if i had the cash and was buying new it would be the Tamron!

I think i might end up getting the tamron then

To add to my (y), I've used the Tamron on both the D50 and the D200 and only sold it to get the Nikon 17-55mm

This is it on a D70, but you get the idea :)

3155273800_8a3d866917.jpg

To add to my (y), I've used the Tamron on both the D50 and the D200 and only sold it to get the Nikon 17-55mm

This is it on a D70, but you get the idea :)

3155273800_8a3d866917.jpg

I sold my 17-55 to upgrade to the motorised Tamron for my D60.

I think the motorised version *may* be even better optically than the non-motorised version, although Tamron says the optics are identical.

I hunted for a non-motorised 2nd-hand example - dunno if they can still be found new. The front end is a bit creaky, just down to its snap-together design methinks. I'll compare it with the Tammy f/2.8-4.0 17-35mm when it warms up within the next decade.

I sold my 17-55 to upgrade to the motorised Tamron for my D60.

I think the motorised version *may* be even better optically than the non-motorised version, although Tamron says the optics are identical.

AFAK the optics are the same and I've heard the motor just slows focus down on the bodies that have their own af motors....

Back