Sigma / tamron 24-70 for Astro?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I need to replace my current 24-70 walkabout lens after I foolishly damaged it. I am a fan of Astro and landscapes and have often wanted a slightly longer focal length for a shot at night than my wide 14mm prime. I’m looking at the 24-70 2.8 by sigma or tamron as a lens that would work for both landscapes and Astro. I can’t justify another dedicated Astro prime and a standard zoom for landscapes.

Has anybody any experience of these lenses for night sky photography, Milky Way etc.?

Any comments appreciated.

TBH, I'd go for what you don't want to - a fastish prime, probably a 50mm. Relatively cheap and light and that extra stop can make all the difference when light is hard to come by!

TBH, I'd go for what you don't want to - a fastish prime, probably a 50mm. Relatively cheap and light and that extra stop can make all the difference when light is hard to come by!
Thanks, I’ve already got that, 50mm 1.8 works great stopped down to 2.8, and a fast wide prime for wide Astro. I’m looking for the mid zoom range that gives a bit more flex at 24mm and zooms for landscapes.

Canon do a 24mm f2.8 pancake prime that's under £200. If you don't need the zoom range that's a better option imo. Could add a Canon 85mm f1.8 to the shopping list and still be cheaper than the 24-70 as well if you wanted something at that length.

Back