Sigma unveil more Four Thirds lenses

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
sigma.gif

The Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of four new lenses for the Four Thirds System.

• 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC MACRO
• 24mm F1.8 EX DG ASPHERICAL MACRO
• 135-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO DG
• 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG APO HSM

The new Sigma lens line-up for the Four Thirds system comprises the large aperture wide-angle 24mm F1.8 EX DG ASPHERICAL MACRO, the compact telephoto zoom lens APO 135-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG, the large aperture ultra-telephoto zoom lens 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM and the large aperture zoom lens 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC MACRO.

The introduction of these new lenses increases our lens line-up for Four Thirds mount to a total of eleven models

more details to follow

This is going to sound stupid, but who cares, whats four thirds mean exactly with regard to lenses? :help: :shrug: :thinking:

It's a standard put together by a group of comapnies including Sigma, Olympus, Panasonic (maybe) and one or two others that I cant remember. It means that any camera that has a 4/3rds mount can take any 4/3rds lens. I guess its a way for the other manufacturers to try to get a pool of lenses big enough to compete with Nikon and Canon.

The deignation refers to the size of the sensor, but I cant offhand remember exactly how. I do know there is a 2x focal length conversion factor compared to 35mm film.

HTH

300-800 on 4/3rds? Woah! Thats a 2x focal length factor isnt it?
The quoted focal length includes the 2x 'crop factor'

The quoted focal length includes the 2x 'crop factor'

Not according to reviews i have read

http://www.photokina-show.com/0414/sigma/slrlens/sigmaapohsmlens/ said:
Sigma APO 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM lens
The HSM provides ultra quiet, high-speed autofocusing as well as full-time manual focus override. This lens is designed to accept a 46mm circular polarizing filter in a rear filter holder. The introduction of this new lens increases Sigma's lens line-up for Four Thirds mount to a total of eleven models. With Four Thirds cameras the focal length will be equivalent to 600-1600mm.

Back