Beginner Sigma v's Tamron

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Like the Canon v's Nikon debate, is it just down to personal preference of is there a "real" difference. I'm looking for a zoom lens up to 300mm.

Many thanks
Simon

Yes, no, maybe, possibly, probably, definitely, definitely not - but which one(s) are you particularly looking at? What budget? What fit?

Really depends on the specific lenses.

Was a time Sigma were deemed a little higher quality than Tamron in general, but that's changed. Nowadays I'd say they're on par, both have some juicy lenses but also their share of lemons. Give us more specifics

Canon 70D. I Have been eyeing up this

https://www.tamron.eu/uk/lenses/sp-af-70-300-f4-56-di-vc-usd/

Any thoughts?

I'd have to double check, but I think Sigma do a 70-300 that has a 1:2 macro mode, if you like to also shoot close ups. The Tamron does have VC though

[edit] Just checked and yes, the older non OS version of the Sigma has the 0.5x macro mode sadly the newer version with OS doesn't have this. If you used a camera with IBIS I'd go ahead and suggest the older Sigma, it's also the cheapest - but if you need stability, the Tamron is probably the best choice. It's not bad for close up photography with magnification of 0.25x [1:4]

Last edited:
Really depends on the specific lenses.

Was a time Sigma were deemed a little higher quality than Tamron in general, but that's changed. Nowadays I'd say they're on par, both have some juicy lenses but also their share of lemons. Give us more specifics

I think sigma are better now, lenses before the A, C, S ranges were very hit and miss with reverse engineered AF. QC was terrible.

I think sigma are better now, lenses before the A, C, S ranges were very hit and miss with reverse engineered AF. QC was terrible.

They did have some iffy lenses in the past, I've owned my fair share of them. The OS system completely failed in my 150mm OS macro after 2 years, ended up selling it on as a non OS lens at a huge loss - on the other hand the 35mm 1.4 Art prime I had for Nikon remains one of my fav lenses ever used

They did have some iffy lenses in the past, I've owned my fair share of them. The OS system completely failed in my 150mm OS macro after 2 years, ended up selling it on as a non OS lens at a huge loss - on the other hand the 35mm 1.4 Art prime I had for Nikon remains one of my fav lenses ever used

Yup, they upped their game with a/c/s. 35mm art is my favourite lens, had a few in pretty much every mount since launch.

Yup, they upped their game with a/c/s. 35mm art is my favourite lens, had a few in pretty much every mount since launch.

It did take me 2 copies to get it right on that one though. The first - bought just after it's initial release, was back focusing like crazy - no matter how I fine tuned in cam - sent back, 2nd copy was perfect from the off. It was the last lens to go with my D800 - and I went through many a lens on that. I shot everything from punk gigs to weddings using mostly that 35 - it's one of those gems that just seems to do it all right

I think the Sigma Art series has produced a wide range of uncompromising quality lenses that offer sharpness unmatched in some cases by oem lenses.

The payoff though is definitely size and weight. The Sigma 105 1.4 is better than the Nikon equivalent but about 2% better! It is however about 70% heavier and larger so sometimes they don’t stack up.

I’ve always been a Tamron man though and think their G2 zooms and Sp primes are fantastic.

The one Sigma lens that has really caught my interest though is the new 40mm 1.4, looks to be utterly amazing despite having its own gravitational force.

Back