Sigma Warranty help - Importing

Name
Mike Simpson
Edit My Images
Yes
So after doing some reading up on warranties from various manufacturers im a little confused as too what they consider ok. Once and for all could some one clear this up? :p

1.Sigma UK 3 Year Warranty
UK stock bought within the UK, so there is no problems.

2.Sigma International 1 Year Warranty (No DUTY/VAT Payment)
International stock (i.e. USA, HK etc) bought outside of the UK and imported into the UK. No payment of Duty and VAT fee's means Sigma UK will not honor this warranty, but will Sigma International? For example could i send the lens back to USA/HK at my expense?

3.Sigma International 1 Year Warranty (DUTY/VAT Paid)
International stock (i.e. USA, HK etc) bought outside of the UK and imported into the UK. You pay Duty and VAT fees, will Sigma UK honor this if you can provide the receipt?

Im looking to buy a new lens, but baffled what to do. The final prices look like this.

Option 1: £600 3 Year Warranty
Option 2: £450 No warranty??
Option 3: £530-£550 1 Year Warranty

Cheers icecavern, can anyone else shed some light on the following though please!

2.Sigma International 1 Year Warranty (No DUTY/VAT Payment)
International stock (i.e. USA, HK etc) bought outside of the UK and imported into the UK. No payment of Duty and VAT fee's means Sigma UK will not honor this warranty, but will Sigma International? For example could i send the lens back to USA/HK at my expense?

Can confirm 2. If the lens was purchased outside the UK and you don't have proof of payment of duty and VAT then Sigma won't honour the warranty - end of. The lens will have a warranty, but only in the country of sale, so you could always send it back to the vendor for them to send to Sigma there.

I've sent a lens I bought in the U.S. back to Sigma and had them fix it under warranty, no quibbles no questions, luck of the draw I guess.

Can I ask exactly what paperwork you sent with it, in terms of receipts/warranty cards?

Mine is going in anyway as I'm prepared to pay for the work but, since you don't have to provide payment with it - they simply call you up to get the money, I may strike it lucky and not have to pay :)

Back