Significantly post-processed HDR

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
Something for pro and anti post processing people to comment on.

3 image, 2 stops apart HDR captured at dusk and processed to look like a high detail painting. All new buildings removed from this semi-derelict church photo in Portsmouth.

Is it still a photo though????

O.K, let me start off by saying HDR isn't really my thing, so take what I say with a bit of a pinch of salt!

I don't really understand the use of HDR here! I've seen a few examples of HDR that I really like (only a very few mind), and the idea was to capture a higher dynamic range than the sensor could otherwise achieve. This meant no blown highlights, and a very natural look.

However, in this shot, a sizeable amount of the picture is completely blown as far as I can make out, which to me defies the point of HDR.

It looks more like the saturation and contrast has just been put through the roof, and while I like the composition, I think the colours are a bit nasty!

I'd much prefer this as a long exposure type shot, or a contrasty black and white, but these are just my opinions, so please don't be offended!

Chris

I'd much prefer this as a long exposure type shot, or a contrasty black and white, but these are just my opinions, so please don't be offended!

Thanks for feedback Chris, this image is not really meant to look like a photo any more and expect it to split opinion; some people have loved it and some think it's too much...

If I'm honest I'd say it's ruined what could have been a nice image.

Gordon,

I know that chuch and I know what you've cropped out. I'm a regular at the Holiday inn ;)

It is a nice idea and the result is nice. However, for me the HDR hasn't worked. I looks like the church and trees have ghosting as if the software hasn't lined up the images properly. There appear to be bright patches between the trees that just wouldn't be there in a painting or in a photograph.

As I said I do like the angle and the idea. I have never tried to get the church from that side.

Gordon,
It is a nice idea and the result is nice. However, for me the HDR hasn't worked. I looks like the church and trees have ghosting as if the software hasn't lined up the images properly. There appear to be bright patches between the trees that just wouldn't be there in a painting or in a photograph.

Thanks for feedback, it is heavily post processed rather than misaligned (I think!).

The Holiday Inn is right next to this church as you know...

Cheers

I'm for HDR, but detest Nuclear-style tone mapping.

I think you had the potential for a nice picture but it's all too tempting to bosh up the tonemapping settings and go wild. subtly is key :)

ads

Gordon, I really like it.

Ever played the game 'The Darkness'?

When I saw this image I immediately thought about the levels in the game where you went back in time to a parallel version of Nazi Germany (albeit slightly more saturated colours).

My only niggle is the tree on the far left. If you were to clone that out (as cloning doesn't seem to be a big deal to you looking at the original!) it would be spot on.

Gordon, I really like it.

Ever played the game 'The Darkness'?
My only niggle is the tree on the far left. If you were to clone that out (as cloning doesn't seem to be a big deal to you looking at the original!) it would be spot on.

Not played 'The Darkness'; must look it up!
Agree about the left hand tree... it's a goner!

Cheers

Back