Beginner Silent shutter mode on dlsr

I thought in silent the mirror goes up and delays in coming down and holding button down a little longer delays it further?

Mirror up, will do exactly that. Press shutter once mirror up, press again takes picture. Silent mode reduces noise from shutter / mirror, but you only press the button once.

So James i have a nikon d3300,it has no mirror up option other than to clean,so
In effect by using silent mode i am getting that option but as you say only one press.am i correct?

Yes so it looks like what i said in my reply that silent mode on at least my d3300 allows me to use mirror up for less vibration whilst still using the vf and live view basically does the same

On the 5D3 it slows down the speed of the mirror downward action (I dont think it slows down the upward action, although I havent tested it) and the fps drops also but it is pretty near damn silent, navigating through the menus also gives a mirror up option, normally used as I am sure you know for longer exposures so you can get the mirror up and out of the way to dampen any vibration before hitting the shutter release. Be a lot nicer if you didnt have to negotiate the menus, my film camera has a simple lever on the side of the body, then again it isnt waterproof!

Matt do you think mirror up is really only useful for long exposure, discounting the quiet release use of it

Probably only useful for static objects, not sure how AF tracking would work with the mirror up as you couldn't track the subject through the viewfinder, so where else would mirror up be useful? I have only used it when testing a lens, tripod mounted camera, timed/remote release after setting the mirror up.

Depends on the camera... M-up is just that, the shutter still functions normally to record the exposure (1st & 2nd curtain). Some have electronic front curtain in combination which is M-up with first curtain up, start recording the image (turn on the pixels in sequence) and then second curtain ends the exposure (by covering rows of pixels in sequence). And some have electronic (rolling) shutter which is the same as electronic front curtain except rows of pixels are turned off and read out in sequence rather than using the second curtain to end the exposure (basically a single video frame).

On my 6d it seems to employ a damper on the mirror which makes it very quiet, but of course slows it all down.

Back