silhouettes

Name
Liam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi hope im ok to post this in this section. I need advice about creating silhouette shoots. I have never done this before but started reading about them on here for the last few days, I have also googled etc.
when I come to do this I would be taking some photos of my wife. she wants to have her shape in the photo with out to much detail. (shy) so thats why I thought of the silhouette.

Right so sitting in the garden today I though id just try it out quickly, I understand you need light behind the subject and read that you meter on the light. so raised my hand to the sky and snapped a photo with my hand in-front of the sun.. but when I looked at the picture I found I could see my hand perfectly but the sky was blown out like mad?? why is this I thought my hand would of be a silhouettes. im very confused help please. :thinking:

thank you :)

Try changing shutter speed to a much faster one?

Last edited:
Hi Fabs thats great I wasn't sure thank you.

Scottishguy just had another go and got it working !thank you very much! had the shutter speed up to 1/1250th! and the aperture was on f9 :)

thank you

Hi Fabs thats great I wasn't sure thank you.

Scottishguy just had another go and got it working !thank you very much! had the shutter speed up to 1/1250th! and the aperture was on f9 :)

thank you

settings are all relative to lighting condition. If you want silhouette, stick the subject in darker place than the background. If you have bright sky in the background, and expose for the sky, the subject will be in silhouette. If you then decide you don't want that, then start introducing fill in flash/reflector/etc.

Hairboy. thank you that makes sense ill give it go, When we have nice weather again lol

Back