Silly panning fun

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Spot on. Really do like these. You're clearly well practiced

Love 1 and 6 - the panning shutter speed and panning have made some great straight lines, the backgrounds become abstract in themselves.

Love 1 and 6 - the panning shutter speed and panning have made some great straight lines, the backgrounds become abstract in themselves.

I always thought Combe was really photogenic (in terms of lots of backgrounds with nothing but sky or trees) but they've just built a giant solar farm in the middle, the fencing and panels themselves blur nicely, but the ancillary structures and warning signs on the fences look pretty nasty if not blurred into oblivion! With that and the catch fence-fairies expanding at an ever increasing rate I'm starting to run out of ideas, especially as I'm limited to 140mm with Fuji X.

Great shots, Awesome work pal. I hope i can get that good at panning soon!

Amazingly sharp at that shutter speed, how fast were the cars going?

Amazingly sharp at that shutter speed, how fast were the cars going?

I'm a bit rubbish at working out speeds, but looking at the average lap speeds from the results, and the fact that I was shooting at the second fastest part of the circuit, I would say somewhere around 100mph.

If my maths are correct that's about 15ft of movement in 1/10th of a second, or two full car lengths.

Last edited:
What kind of hit rate were you get for keepers ? (if you say 100%, I may have to hate you ...:grumpy: )

:D

I reckon on about 25% keepers but that's at 1/100th or so (again, at CC)

Like the sharpness of the shots but I'm not a fan of wonkiness!

Hope to head up for the Autumn Classic - 3rd October.

How come the EXIF on flickr says most are 1/100, 1/80 and 1/60 with a few down to 1/30? Which ones were done at 1/10?

#2 is at 1/10th, there should be 2 or 3 more on my Flickr stream as I got 4 keepers, but I've not uploaded everything yet.

As for hit rate, as a rough guide, yesterday was 10% at 1/10, 20% at 1/15 - 1/20, 30% at 1/30 then rising to 50-70% for 1/50 - 1/60. Not shooting at a high FPS helps with the numbers though, most of the time I'm shooting single shot and focusing on one solid pan, but at really silly speeds I normally aim for 3 shots so I'm already holding the shutter release down for the middle shot (anything to reduce movement helps)

Last edited:
You will always be the King of panning mate. Crazy sharp for these shutter speeds!

Thanks Nick, hope life on the other side of the fence is treating you well :)

Very crisp set - I cant get the hang of panning but I guess I just need more practice at it

Very crisp set - I cant get the hang of panning but I guess I just need more practice at it

I'm 9 years and probably in the region of 200 events into my practice! There are no shortcuts, it's just figuring out what works best for you and lots of trial and error.

I'm lucky to get to a few events a year now (7 month old baby!) but I vividly remember often being virtually the only one stood at Castle Combe for small weekend sprints and track days, intentionally standing at the fastest part of the track and firing away at 1/50 etc all day long, love it.

The upside is that now I can do it with my little mirrorless Fuji that I use to record my kid growing up, and don't feel the need for a pro-spec DSLR with £3k lens attached.

Agreed, some very nice shots there. I've been practising myself but not hit anywhere that standard yet.

Great stuff (y)

but I vividly remember often being virtually the only one stood at Castle Combe for small weekend sprints and track days, intentionally standing at the fastest part of the track and firing away at 1/50 etc all day long, love it.

Same here, Hammerdown is an excellent place to practise panning and one of my favourite spots on the track.

Next time you're there keep an eye out for me, it'll be good to say hi.

Same here, Hammerdown is an excellent place to practise panning and one of my favourite spots on the track.

Next time you're there keep an eye out for me, it'll be good to say hi.

Avon Rise was my home for years, gutted when they fenced it off. Used to get the faster cars with 2 or 3 wheels off the ground quite frequently.

Avon Rise was my home for years, gutted when they fenced it off.

Yeah that was a good spot too, I was only shooting there for about a year before the fences went up. I've started doing some head on shots there from the marshal post but it's nowhere near the same.

I tried some of this at Brands on Saturday, inspired by your efforts, I think I only nailed around three successes all day !

Great shots, I also often try lower shutter speed panning shots but none come close to yours, wonderful images, and great technique.

Fantastic shots Chris, you really are mastering the X-T1 at motorsport, the sharpness and detail is amazing. I wonder if you'll get a better keeper rate when the new firmware is released?

Back