Silverstone F1 Friday practice

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
OK then, I'll be the first to put my cards on the table. Here are a few from yesterday's practice sessions. All taken with a 400D & 400mm 5.6. Some quick PSE6 work done (Enhance levels auto, resized to 800px, crop, unsharp mask)

Any CC would be appreciated. (y)

I was struggling to get sharper images so I'm hoping to have learnt something from the feedback I received on a MotoGP practice CC I posted last month. I don't shoot motorsports often but I'm kinda getting hooked!

1) Vettel (ISO100, 1/320, 7.1)

2) Rosberg with Schumacher behind (ISO200, 1/400, 9)

3) Button (ISO200, 1/640, 7.1)

4) Webber (ISO100, 1/640, 5.6)

5) Kubica (ISO100, 1/640, 5.6)

I'm not to keen on the crops they all seem slightly different ratios and too tight, other than that you have not gone too high on the shutter speed so there is some wheel blur. (y)

I'd agree with Foggy about the crop ratios. I always try to stick to 7x5 if I crop a shot. I'd also prefer it if the crops weren't so tight, or cutting off the front/back. If you're going to cut the front/back off, make sure you crop enough off so that it doesn't look like you framed it wrong.

I don't think the shutter speed is too much of a problem. With that 3/4 angle it's harder to portray speed in the same way you would with a side-on panning shot.

Number 2 is my favourite.

A good improvement on the Moto Gp Shots..I like the crops,well done on the panning techniques..its hard work and you always get hooked..(y)

Nice photographs, especially liking the team Mercedes shot.

Love the second shot of the two Mercedes looks like the focusing is pin sharp, may benefit from a slight crop to remove just a bit of the foreground.

So jealous of you being there, I agree the crops are too tight but nice sharp images.

I don't mind the tight crops at all, it's something I'd do :)
I do agree that the ratios should be the same though, makes it flow better as a set I think.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. Thanks nikon4Pete too for comparing them to my earlier MotoGP efforts.

I agree with some of the cropping comments. I like to have at least the full front tyre and some track in front normally but with the last two images they were not cropped by choice... but more a case of I didn't keep up with them! I wouldn't have included the final shot but for the fact I was just really happy with the sharpness of it.

really like #2.

#3 would be mutch better with a bit more contrast or boosting the colours a bit.

as regards the cropping, I like tight crops, but I think yours aren't tight enough. they tend to make it look like you've zoomed in too far and missed the edges of the cars rather than them being cropped, it's only my opinion, at the end of the day, if you like them then that's the most important thing.

I was down at Vale for a while, it was like a togs convention. It's at times like that I wash I was a few inches taller.

Last edited:
It's at times like that I wash I was a few inches taller.

Tell me about it... gonna take a crate next year!

Thanks for your thoughts on the cropping. I'm at the experimenting stage. :LOL:

Last edited:
Really like them, I understand what you are saying about trying to get everything in frame, I had a real nightmare trying to get an entire car in frame, they move so quickly that you only get one shot.

Really like shots 1, 2 and 3. Have you cropped 1 at all? If so I think it would look better if you had a little bit of space to the left of the front wing, and you had the entire rear tyre (although that is my personal preference).

6) Hamilton (ISO100, 1/640, 5.6)

7) Alguersuari (ISO100, 1/640, 5.6)

8) di Grassi (ISO100, 1/640, 5.6)

9) Fan 1 (ISO100, 1/200, 8)

10) Fan 2 (cheated on this one though as it was one of a few I took on Sport mode!)

Really like shots 1, 2 and 3. Have you cropped 1 at all? If so I think it would look better if you had a little bit of space to the left of the front wing, and you had the entire rear tyre (although that is my personal preference).

Thanks Adam. Yes #1 had a tight crop. Here it is with more room. It was taken at the morning practice at Luffield and I've noticed those look too bright - think the sun was shining straight at the cars. Afternoon shots from Vale look more vibrant.

Hope you had a great day :).

Nice improvement since Moto GP and really like the shots of Jenson (no:3) and Rosberg with Schumacher (no:2)

Think some of the comments about the crops might be more about the standard sort of sizes for prints like 6x4,7x5 and 8x10 but big improvement in the sharpness and some wheel blur :clap:.

Thanks Adam. Yes #1 had a tight crop. Here it is with more room. It was taken at the morning practice at Luffield and I've noticed those look too bright - think the sun was shining straight at the cars. Afternoon shots from Vale look more vibrant.

That looks a bit better. Notice that you have the weird green paint on the rear wing. I noticed it on some of my shots and was trying to work out what was wrong with the camera :LOL:

Thanks Gadget-Guy. I was determined to put the tips from the MotoGP pics into practice and come back with better shots. It was a good day.

That looks a bit better. Notice that you have the weird green paint on the rear wing. I noticed it on some of my shots and was trying to work out what was wrong with the camera :LOL:

Think I can solve that one for you Adam.... it shows the mechanics where the airflow is accross the car. Must be allowed to do this on practice days. See http://f1fanatics.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/mclaren-green-fluid-mystery-solved/

Back