Silverstone FIA WEC - nailed a 1/60 panning shot - pretty chuffed

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

Had a great weekend at Silverstone for the FIA WEC and ELMS event.

Worked really hard on my photos trying a few new things as got a bit bored at a few events recently.

Nailed this shot which I am so pleased with, hoping to have it published this week in an article I am providing the pictures for in one of the drivers local paper.

No4150416kolles_zpsog4q69md.jpg

Let me know your thoughts please.

Regards

Tim

Beautiful shot, very well done.

Nitpicking but I would probably have bumped the contrast up a little to make it pop a bit more but that really is nitpicking!

What section of the track was this taken?

:clap:

Thoughts:

1) Stunning Shot
2) That ByKolles has become a good looking motorcar.

Not much wrong with that shot, perhaps a tad to central in the frame but a good capture.

Cracking shot. I am still finding my way and was struggling at 1/200th

Excellent shot technically. From a processing perspective it looks a bit flat, possibly too much shadow pushing looking at the wheels/tyres?

I am struggling below 1/60. Practice. Practice. Practice. Great panning shot. A little to central for me.

I am struggling below 1/60. Practice. Practice. Practice. Great panning shot. A little to central for me.

Without wishing to hijack the thread (it's on topic!), I find single shot to be far, far more effective when you're starting to get down to silly speeds. I think there is a tendency to start machine gunning when aiming for silly speeds, but really concentrating on one clean pan makes a massive difference. Also getting your feet nice and flat and spread out, even holding your breath if you want to take it really seriously. I'm down to 1/10th handheld now (10 years of practice!) but I've got to really think about exactly what I'm doing, all being well I can normally get there after a few shots.

Without wishing to hijack the thread (it's on topic!), I find single shot to be far, far more effective when you're starting to get down to silly speeds. I think there is a tendency to start machine gunning when aiming for silly speeds, but really concentrating on one clean pan makes a massive difference. Also getting your feet nice and flat and spread out, even holding your breath if you want to take it really seriously. I'm down to 1/10th handheld now (10 years of practice!) but I've got to really think about exactly what I'm doing, all being well I can normally get there after a few shots.
Good tip. I used to 'machine gun' action shots, but now I am much more selective and try the slower shutter speeds and think about them. Its a learning curve.

Great pan and cool looking car, as others have said perhaps a tad central. Hope you get it published

Great shot dude. Very similar to my experience of panning too. I always hold my breath now on every shot and concentrate on quality not quantity.

Back