Silverstone. Gt

Name
Darren Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi planning to go this weekend for my first trip to sliverstone since 1997.

First time with a camera, just after some pointers to the track. Where the best places to try and those to avoid?

Thanks.

So as it's an F1 standard track there are fences absolutely everywhere. However, you can get close to them and shoot through them in a lot of places, and there are a few photo holes too.

The area around The Loop hairpin has several photo holes for you to use, and it's easy to get close to the fence and shoot through it. There are a pair of photo holes at the exit of the Beckett's section just before the cars head out onto the Hangar Straight. The Luffield section has a few different angles you can get by shooting through the fence, and you can easily shoot through the fence for a head on shot from Copse too. As an example this was shot through the fence at The Loop last weekend whilst I was walking back to the paddock.

EDIT: As you can see from this photo, the new track surface is jet black, so if the sun comes out heat haze becomes a major problem

FIA World Endurance Championship Silverstone 2019 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks, used to the fence part being a Brands hatch regular. My luck it will rain rather then being bright sun lol.

I’ll be carrying a 24-70, 400mm F4 DO with 1.4 plus 2.0 tc’s.

Two of the Grandstands are open and free to use, Woodcote B and National Pot straight I think, and as above about Luffield.

I was there last week for the World Endurance Championship and was really please with some of the shots I got.

Going to see how I feel in the morning and maybe take a drive up for the day on Saturday

Well I have walked the track this morning as I got here early, and about those fences, there not as bad as at Brands hatch tbh, partly due to the action in most corners being further away. At least that’s my first impressions won’t know properly until I get home but the size of the runoffs here is a blessing, just need a longer focal length then Brands for cars. Id image bikes are difficult here and would require the 800mm end of things.

Quite a few stands have been opened up but I haven’t ventured into any yet.

The place is pretty empty. Only seen a couple of spectators in the morning with cameras

Last edited:
Back