SIMPLE SMALL TABLE TOP LIGHTING RIG?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Many, many years ago I made a small lighting rig to illuminate small objects (bird's eggs, actually - that's how long ago it was!) on a bed of sand on a tray. I made up a base from a 20x16 print tray and used two anglepoise lamps fitted with Osram daylight bulbs. It seemed to work surprisingly well (I bracketed like mad!) and I've got some similar work to do now, basically some dismantled clock parts which I thought would be shot on a black cloth background. I have acquired a small 'light tent' (more of a five sided cube, in truth) which would serve me well as the support/surround for the subject but one thing I don't have is flash. I was thinking of doing much the same this time but was wondering if LED bulbs might be a better idea.... Has anyone done anything like this? Please bear in mind cost is an issue - I'm not a pro and the person I am doing it for is an elderly clock hobbyist who is an old friend of the family so there's no fee involved. I'm OK with the lens etc. but it's the lighting I'm concerned about.

Any helpful suggestions welcomed.

Rob

You can use anything you like to provide the light source for the light tent. It doesn't need to be flash. LEDs, halogens, tungsten, compact fluorecent... take your pick.

Assuming you're shooting digital, you can adjust the colour temperature in post processing to correct any colour balance issue.

Back